Author Topic: Do scents make sense?  (Read 373 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Do scents make sense?
« on: 02/11/21 10:09 UTC »
Been a long while since we had any sort of discussion here on scenting plastic baits: whether it works or not. As long as we're in the winter doldrums lets kick some thought around.

I'll start by saying I have some specific thoughts on whether scent will work or not based on whether the scent is oil or water based or even if its based on oil will the oil mix with water in the short term [emulsify]. My feelings are that fish live in water and that their scent sensory organs may not be able to "smell" things oil based. But I am open to the idea that beyond the smell itself, chemically they may be able to pick up scent. Again personally, I have used cod-liver-oil as a scent for years and have noticed that at times it makes a significant difference. This oil is one that is totally organic so my oil theory gets a hole punched in it because I think the organic compounds are ones that fish can pick up on as a "food" smell.

I am a huge advocate of Gulp and PowerBait products, especially the Gulp juice. Neither of these is organic...totally synthesized. But they both work in their own times....like the cod-liver-oil. Power baits seems to work even when a bait is cut off or broken so it is more than apparent that the compound is cooked into the bait. Gulp appears to be a surface product, hence it's coming in the juice. Its obvious to me that the chemicals found in these product likely mimic pheromones that fish react to causing a better likelihood of the fish hitting it.

I am also a huge advocate of using anise essential oil mixed in regular worm oil as a cover scent in the plastics I make. I use it topically, not cooked in. The pictured one ounce bottle will make a potent scent in one gallon of worm oil. I ordered two of these bottles ten years ago and this one is still un-opened and the other still half full. One single drop of this mix goes into each bag of baits. I know it hides a world of scent sins like gasoline and smoke but I swear it also acts to get fish to hit better.

I have used a couple of the Upper Hand Scents that is available thru Do-It's store and have tried cooking it in and as a bagging scent and I have played with cooking it into the plastic. I think cooking it in changes its smell and I cannot recall ever getting bit when using a bait with it cooked in, so I no longer use it in that way. I feel that it works to some degree as a bagging or topical scent and on certain days I feel it helps with hits. Its oil based with what I assume are organic compounds so there has to be something that fish can sense. Like the Gulp and PowerBait where I think Berkley has been able to chemically replicate scents or pheromones it goes well beyond smell and is likely something so small it would boggle our minds. But it's there.

I'm curious what products others of you use for scenting the soft plastics. Do you cook it in, and if so, why? What particular scent gets the most reaction for you. Do you bag baits using scent and, if so, which products? Lets kick this around and see what ya'll think or do.

Offline Bass Boys

• Yearling
Re: Do scents make sense?
« Reply #1 on: 02/11/21 12:25 UTC »
 I do both - cook it in but not in every batch .  Put it in the bait bag always..
 I like anise and craw.
 I have found that when cooking it in most will cook out so I add a lot of drops to the batches I cook.
 1st off I think ---  that it helps cover up the plastisol smell.
  2nd my son fishes a series from the BFL in Michigan and he swears by Max Scent. So we have been experimenting with scents and they work but
 we can not match the smell of Max Scent, not yet anyway.
 The Berkley scents that we have got are all  water based so it will not work for cooking in.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/11/21 13:55 UTC »
The new max scent is unreal. When I fish it on a drop shot; I fish it the same as if I were fishing live bait. (Little movement) Now on my home made baits I add a few drops of Upper Hand Scents (coffee and shad)into the worm bag. I feel it helps cover up any human scent. A few drops of worm oil also goes into the bag to help lubercate the plastics.

Online efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/11/21 14:08 UTC »
One of my former fishing buddies would definitely agree with the anise scent... he bought untold cases of Fish Formula (original scent) because he thought it was better than any of the other (newer) scents on the market well after its heyday; not only was it a staple in his boat, but he still had multiple cases in his garage when he passed away just a few years back.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/11/21 17:26 UTC »
The new max scent is unreal. When I fish it on a drop shot; I fish it the same as if I were fishing live bait. (Little movement) Now on my home made baits I add a few drops of Upper Hand Scents (coffee and shad)into the worm bag. I feel it helps cover up any human scent. A few drops of worm oil also goes into the bag to help lubercate the plastics.

I agree 100 percent on the Max Scent. They make a flat worm in a black and if I can't get a bite then I put that on a shaky head and it will catch fish. The problem is that everything in the lake will eat it. So I have to sort through them to get to the bass. For spray on scent I use Gulp in the Crawfish. Does it help ? I think on a reaction bite then no. On a finesse bite then I think it helps them hold on longer. For bass. For walleye then I do believe they pick at the bait more and scent will help. In a reaction bite probably not so much. For crappies ? That's for sissies. I wouldn't know.

Offline Bass Boys

• Yearling
« Reply #5 on: 02/12/21 05:39 UTC »
  I agree 100 percent on the Max Scent. For crappies ? That's for sissies. I wouldn't know.

Hey Now !!   :o :P ;D

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/12/21 07:27 UTC »
Hey Now !!   :o :P ;D

You'll have to forgive Lamar. The rest of us know that crappies are more challenging and the bass are for those who can't figure out to catch crappies.

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 02/12/21 08:35 UTC »
I don't cook scents in but I do put it in my bags. Real Craw was my favorite back in the day. It gives me more confidence on slow moving baits so I'm in. I have one now called Toad Magnet and soak my Senkos in it. I hope they bite and not let go.  ;)

Offline billygee

• Kicker
« Reply #8 on: 02/12/21 11:32 UTC »
Something Different

Cooked some used coffee grounds in a batch last season
Foamed up a bit during being cooked, skimmed it off an reheated
Results was surprising the outcome the variety of fish caught on this recipe

Never know what can be cooked up in a cauldron of recipes

billygee

Online efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 02/12/21 12:03 UTC »
Something Different

Cooked some used coffee grounds in a batch last season
Foamed up a bit during being cooked, skimmed it off an reheated
Results was surprising the outcome the variety of fish caught on this recipe

Never know what can be cooked up in a cauldron of recipes

billygee

How strong was the scent using actual coffee?... Do you think it was more or less than when using the add in oil?

Offline billygee

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 02/12/21 13:09 UTC »
How strong was the scent using actual coffee?... Do you think it was more or less than when using the add in oil?

Just bagged it w/o adding any oils,
When bag opened smell was just like taking the lid off a take out cup of coffee

billygee

Online efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 02/12/21 14:08 UTC »
Just bagged it w/o adding any oils,
When bag opened smell was just like taking the lid off a take out cup of coffee

I love coffee, so I'm thinking I will have to do some experimenting with that (once the weather warms up a bit).

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 02/12/21 14:11 UTC »
There ya go. Now when you're in the tree stand on a frosty morning you can whip out a coffee flavor senko and suck away to satisfy that coffee urge. lol

Online efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 02/12/21 14:27 UTC »
There ya go. Now when you're in the tree stand on a frosty morning you can whip out a coffee flavor senko and suck away to satisfy that coffee urge. lol

Funny... I can't see using them on the deer stand, but maybe in the truck where I could hang them from the mirror as air fresheners.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 02/12/21 14:29 UTC »
"in the truck where I could hang them from the mirror as air fresheners."

I love the smell of perking coffee, so the air freshener idea is a winner.