Author Topic: Searching for a madtom mold  (Read 366 times)

Online Fishermanbt

• Kicker
Searching for a madtom mold
« on: 02/22/21 04:27 UTC »
And no I’m not talking about a mad Ctom either. I have been looking for a mad tom/stone cat mold and keep coming up short.  Something along the line like Case Plastic makes. I have found a few molds that closely resemble the general shape of this critter but most either rather small (Jacob’s) or the tail is crazy long (Bug Molds) or it looks like a leach and a hellgrammite cross spawned (Venom Lures). Closest I can find at present is a goby mold. A guy is mailing me a soft bait that is no longer made to see if I can make a mold of it. I’m even considering trying to carve out a master from wood but I’d hate to. So, any of you guys know where I might find a fairly realistic mold at?
« Last Edit: 02/22/21 04:39 UTC by Fishermanbt »

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Searching for a madtom mold
« Reply #1 on: 02/22/21 07:34 UTC »
In my river heyday I fished those Case baits a ton in late winter and hammered the walleyes and sauger. I still have a couple of those in pristine condition and have thought about making a RTV mold for injecting them. I've never seen a mold from anywhere that makes anything like the original Case baits but would be all over one if I could find one. Good luck on your hunt!

Online 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/22/21 14:54 UTC »
I'm good friends with the owners of case plastics and zipper worm co...

https://fishingcompleteinc.com/

Call Tom/Dennis/Greg and see if they will run a bulk order for you at a discount. They do it for me.

Online Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 02/22/21 15:29 UTC »
I appreciate that xdc but I’m looking to pour a bait a tad bigger and a little more detail. I don’t want to pour a knock off of Case. I found an older video on YouTube of guy showing off some he made from a master and they pretty darn nice.
https://youtu.be/xPmzCFkceRA

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/22/21 16:09 UTC »
Wow, cool video. Those are extremely realistic.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/22/21 18:36 UTC »
I'm good friends with the owners of case plastics and zipper worm co...

https://fishingcompleteinc.com/

Call Tom/Dennis/Greg and see if they will run a bulk order for you at a discount. They do it for me.

And here I thought Case baits had died years ago. Got an order ready right now. Thanks guy!

Online Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 02/22/21 18:45 UTC »
I love this message board!  People helping people and being nice. This is how the world should work.

Online 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 02/22/21 19:06 UTC »
I love this message board!  People helping people and being nice. This is how the world should work.

Agreed...  :)

Offline hawgthumper

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 02/22/21 20:42 UTC »
I can hook you up with a custom mold maker. He’s already got the design. If you want a bigger size I’m sure he can adjust the program. I also have a friend that thinks he has a 3.5 inch mold. He’s going to check tomorrow.

Online Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 02/23/21 12:58 UTC »
Hawgthumper PM me if you hear anything. Very interesting.

Online Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 02/25/21 16:04 UTC »
I received a bait in the mail today that represents the mold that I’m looking for. It is 5” long by 3/4” wide, hook slot in the bottom and has “Bud’s” at the back of the hook slot. This thing has some super tail action. It appears that it was produced in a CNC mold due to the presence of tooling lines and machine injected due to the tiny injection nub on the nose.

Online Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 02/25/21 16:07 UTC »
Another view

Online Bass Boys

• Yearling
« Reply #12 on: 02/25/21 16:26 UTC »
  And they ( who ever sent it )  can make some baits for ya ?
   or maybe they have a mold for sale ?

Online Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #13 on: 02/25/21 16:54 UTC »
No, a buddy I fish with found these baits in a shop and we have been unable to find more. I’ve tried searching Buds Baits with no luck. I was just hoping to find a mold similar to this bait.

Offline Coosa Redeye

• Keeper
« Reply #14 on: 02/28/21 18:07 UTC »
That could easily be made into a 1 pc. rtv mold. You will lose the hookslot though.