I use the small "emergency candles". Any color or scent will leave more trash. Remove the foil cup and the wick and drop 1 whole candle on top of Your lead melt. The candle will start to melt and catch fire...it's SUPPOSED to catch fire...if it's not flaming, You're not fluxing. I use a Propane "Jet" Burner (same burner I boil seafood with) and a "20 lb." Cast Iron Pot...I don't use a Lead Melter. You should avoid breathing Lead Melt Vapors, but avoiding the Smoke while You're fluxing is more urgent...do not breath that smoke! While Your lead melt is flaming, stir the melt...bottom, sides, stir it all...this will help bring the dross to the top.