Author Topic: Saltwater Surf Fishing  (Read 7073 times)

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://youtu.be/WbozDBM67lY
Saltwater Surf Fishing
« on: 04/11/13 03:04 UTC »
I've spent much of my life fishing Inland Saltwater, alot of which was spent waist-deep wading the Surf for Specks, Reds and Flounder.  Very recently, I've been getting alot of reports of Sharks both Inland and on the Beach.  Reports of large numbers of Sharks in some places, other places there have been very large Sharks.

There was a large Great White discovered within a few hundred yards of the beach, off the coast of Florida, not very long ago...we all know the Great White is a man-eater.

Most other reports have been Bull Sharks, Tiger Sharks, and Makos.  Bulls and Tigers are the common Man-eaters, followed by Makos.

Because of these recent issues, my days of wading are over.  Any fishing I do will be my feet on dry ground or in a boat.  I urge everyone to consider the same.
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

Noreen BN36
Noreen BN36X3, Carbine-X

Wash.  Your.  Hands.

https://youtu.be/WbozDBM67lY  👈😎

Offline floridagrimp

• Lunker
Re: Saltwater Surf Fishing
« Reply #1 on: 04/11/13 09:00 UTC »
You are correct, Gary. Bull Sharks now a protected species here in Fl. WAAAAY too many sharks here..not a supporter at all of finning, but there needs to be a balance. Some sharks (esp. blacktip, if you bleed them out quickly) are very good eating

***that "catch and release" on bulls can be pretty tricky..the last guy that tried to grab bull shark by the bottom lip (aka largemouth release) is now called "one armed Eddie" down at the marina. 8)

hope this post isn't too controversial for the forum.. :-* :-* :-*
"Be sure to fillet and re-grease!"

"WATCH THE FOX, "fair and balanced" in a world filled with leftwing media types!
Obama's added 15 million to food stamp roles in 4 years (and growing).."If you pay folks to be poor then you'll have a lot of poor people"

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 04/11/13 09:56 UTC »
 As the cobia make their spring migration along the gulf coast makos; and to some extent hammerheads; shadow them.  Often, these fish are just off the second sand bar and sometimes in the trough.  Seeing a 10 foot hammerhead cruising between the first and second sand bar will keep you on the pier and not in the surf.  I am just wondering when a beach kayak fisherman is going to have a "too close" biting?

Offline floridagrimp

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/11/13 10:33 UTC »
Big hammers are everywhere on Gulf Coast...remember in Panama City Beach when Tennessee diver didn't come back to the dive boat. 12 ft hammerhead sighted at boat..guy was never found.

You have to see these big sharks in action under a pier to see how incredibly fast they are
« Last Edit: 04/11/13 10:35 UTC by floridagrimp »

"WATCH THE FOX, "fair and balanced" in a world filled with leftwing media types!
Obama's added 15 million to food stamp roles in 4 years (and growing).."If you pay folks to be poor then you'll have a lot of poor people"

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #4 on: 04/11/13 10:34 UTC »
I don't know much about salt water other than it makes me sick.  I'm curious, though, why the increased shark activity so close to shore.  Is it because of climate change, lack of food, lack of habitat, or whatever.  Why can you fish for a lifetime in a certain spot and suddenly it becomes dangerous with sharks?

I guess one explanation, Bones, is you just look like you taste good.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline floridagrimp

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 04/11/13 10:46 UTC »
I have seen a huge uptick in shark activity since a lot of the shark fishing was stopped. They still catch them way offshore.

another interesting item, sharks use to go crazy (per shark fisherman) when they would test microwave technology at Tyndall AFB. Must have done something to their navigation systems.

also, several major attacks during those times...also, crabs, seagulls (only leftwinged gulls were harmed, rightwingers were helping AF run the test), other various and sundry sea life was barbequed during these testings.  hardly anyone knew it was going on.... 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: 04/11/13 10:48 UTC by floridagrimp »

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 04/11/13 13:28 UTC »
Denny  --  Some think it is a cyclical event.  Some say that "instant reporting" is bringing more attention and the actual rate hasn't changed much.   I know that back in the 1960's - 1970's  Large hammerhead and dusky shark "visits" were almost a daily thing on most gulf piers.    We won't talk about the big barracudas.  You would see someone floating on a blow up pool float on the outside edge of the second bar. They would be soaking up the sun; un-aware of the 4 / 5 foot cuda cooling it in the shade of their float.   

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 04/11/13 14:07 UTC »
I just may look tasty, Mr. Denny...like a Fun-Size Brown Shrimp.

There could be many factors, then some of those factors would see opposition, but I "see" several contributors.  Some species are illegal to take, most species aren't favorable table fare, all harvestable species creel is very limited...while humans harvest the Sharks natural food (commercial take is heavy).  There used to not be so much restriction on the harvest of Sharks, many were finned, many were killed for fun and spite...now they're much more protected.

Probably the last 1-2 years, I've been reading and hearing about the increase in numbers, encounters, and some attacks.  I absolutely believe we're seeing an increase.  I wish I could believe I'm wrong.  I believe a major increase is as true as the threat (and presence) of the Snakehead and Jumping Carp.

You won't find me wading the surf anymore...sadly...surely not waist-deep.
« Last Edit: 04/11/13 14:08 UTC by BareKnuckleJigs »
.El Gnaw.

"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

Noreen BN36
Noreen BN36X3, Carbine-X

Wash.  Your.  Hands.

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 04/11/13 14:26 UTC »
I think it was through the same decades that Sharks were getting the Business End of humans, the Porpoises and Dolphins were taking hits, as well.  Porpoises and Dolphins get their name on the Protected List.  Now they're everywhere, in massive numbers.
« Last Edit: 04/11/13 14:33 UTC by BareKnuckleJigs »
.El Gnaw.

"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

Noreen BN36
Noreen BN36X3, Carbine-X

Wash.  Your.  Hands.

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 04/11/13 14:47 UTC »
We always knew there were sharks around while we were Surf Fishin', and what we concerned ourselves with was making sure our Stringer could be untied quickly and easily if a Shark got ahold of the fish on the stringer.  Other than that, sharks weren't an issue.  I'm certain many people will continue unharmed, but I'm not hungry enough to take the chance.
.El Gnaw.

"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

Noreen BN36
Noreen BN36X3, Carbine-X

Wash.  Your.  Hands.

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 04/11/13 15:24 UTC »
And roger on all that, Mr. Pat.  Most of what I've been gathering has been from between LA and FL.  Scary aerial pictures on the beaches...sharks like ants.

Mr. Jerry...not trying to cause chaos, just hoping to raise reasonable awareness.
.El Gnaw.

"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

Noreen BN36
Noreen BN36X3, Carbine-X

Wash.  Your.  Hands.

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #11 on: 04/11/13 15:44 UTC »
I got no problem with this thread Gary.  It's both interesting and informational.

Thanks,

Jerry
"What started as a hobby is now a way of life."  Justin9j

"It's a shame I have to work, cause I really don't have time for it." Shane

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 04/11/13 16:13 UTC »
And I'll give 'Gimp credit...the seagull thing was funny  ;D
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline floridagrimp

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 04/11/13 16:29 UTC »
Gary, there has to be many more sharks now then that was 20-25 years ago. I knew guys fishing close to shore (and offshore) that were absolutely slaughtering sharks, hundreds of thousands were being caught. Most all those guys have stopped, so....unless boats are really whacking them offshore, I believe there are more sharks today than I have seen in my lifetime. Lots of big sharks are being caught, at least hooked, close to shore, I know of a 12 ft bull shark caught east of Panama City at Cape San Blas caught off the beach last time we were up there. 12 ft. is a big bull!!

I know this, when bay shrimpers clean their nets at night, you wouldn't want to fall in...I've seen huge schools of sharks behind the boats. Looks like 1000's of eyes in the water.

Offline floridagrimp

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 04/11/13 16:38 UTC »
that's "Grimp", Mr. Andrew, 6'2" 250 and can still bring it, if u know what I mean, lol...so, "gimp" doesn't fit, sure it was a typo!! :-* :P 8)
peace