Author Topic: This belongs here maybe  (Read 5172 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
This belongs here maybe
« on: 07/10/13 09:34 UTC »
"ELK RIVER, MN — A 46-year-old man has died after suffering an electrical shock while trying to charge a boat battery on Eagle Lake.

Sherburne County Sheriff Joel Brott says Daniel Peterson, of Big Lake, was standing in about 20 inches of water when he lost his footing and fell into the water while he was holding the battery charger, which was plugged into a socket.

His 49-year-old sister Kris Biser ran into the water to help but she was also shocked.

Neighbors found the two floating in the lake. They pulled the electrical cord from the socket and pulled the two out. They rendered first aid and called 911.

Biser was taken to St. Cloud Hospital and she's expected to recover.

According to the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's office, Peterson died Saturday. "

Somehow I just can't feel sorry for this guy. I look at what may have happened had there been kids or families swimming nearby. I wonder too if he was drunk, but then figured he shouldn't be around a boat or electricity.... or water for that matter.

This was totally avoidable and just helps me believe that sometimes stupid does fix itself. What an utter waste.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
Re: This belongs here maybe
« Reply #1 on: 07/10/13 10:16 UTC »
Water and AC electricity go along with firearms and alcohol.   Very dangerous.  Seems like the circuit breaker or fuse should have tripped though with that good of a ground.   

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 07/10/13 10:25 UTC »
I'm willing to wager that this was a private dock and that the electricity was either by cord or came to the dock in a manner not in accordance with local zoning laws. Lots of the latter happen in this state.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline biglewers

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 07/10/13 13:39 UTC »
A GFI plug would have stopped that.

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 07/10/13 14:49 UTC »
Good point Biglewers.  I replaced all my bathroom, kitchen sink area, and Laundry sink area plugs with GFI outlets several years ago ( older home ).   I did not even think of that. 

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 07/10/13 15:13 UTC »
  They need there own separate breaker out by the dock. FYI a GFI will blow all the time if a transformer type device is plugged into it. We run into this all the time in basements when plugging small 16 volt transformers in. They may run for three weeks or one day but for some reason GFI's don't like them. That's why guys change them out to a regular plug in camp grounds and docks. Then this happens. I always take extra care when staying at places with over night docks. I always plug my boat in to charge it up for the next day. I see all the time guys leaving there cords out on the dock. It's just something I never do.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 07/10/13 15:53 UTC »
The guy was standing in 20" of water with the charger plugged into a live cord. This is what I shake my head at.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 07/10/13 19:04 UTC »
Maybe he should get a Darwin Award.

Offline bassbuster