Author Topic: Calling all air brushers.....  (Read 9772 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Calling all air brushers.....
« Reply #15 on: 09/06/13 08:09 UTC »
For dark, heavy days and the low light periods of earl morning and late evening I always liked to throw a silver blade, silver left on the back side with 1/2 blue and the other half deep purple on the face side. Then I discovered Wonderbread glow. The WB sees a lot of water time now and not so much the blue/purple but that blue/purple still travels with me. There are times when it works better than any color combo.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #16 on: 09/06/13 14:10 UTC »
Gotta love some places. Having sent the airbrush to a "qualified party for service to make it work again, I thought I'd hook it up and do some practice patterns on cardboard using plain, flitered water. Same issue as before....bubbling the water like crazy and no spray. I wonder if the party that supposedly cleaned this thing even ran a water test through it or just made the assumption it was clean. Let's just say the I am not a happy camper.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline gone2long

• Kicker
« Reply #17 on: 09/06/13 14:50 UTC »
Ctom Check to ensure that your tip and aircap are making a good seal, here's a tip take a q tip and apply vasoline on the threads of both and test again bubbles in the cup is caused by an air leak causing air to back up into the cup.

Also check to see if your oring on the air cap is missing or damaged.
« Last Edit: 09/06/13 14:52 UTC by gone2long »

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 09/06/13 15:22 UTC »
Sounds like it is plugged up with paint. One of the things they recommend in cleaning an airbrush is to cover the tip with your figure. This will cause a "backflow" which makes the paint cup bubble. If your tip or needle is bent this can also shut off the flow, but something is blocked if its bubbling.

Offline Shane70

• Kicker
    • Shane's Hobby Shop
« Reply #19 on: 09/06/13 15:44 UTC »
Well, for me, I have the Iwata Hi-Line HP-CH Airbrush and I use only Createx colors. Mostly I do a 50:50 ratio but there are times I will do a 1:3 ratio if I needed a more thinner spray. I also like to add Pledge Floor Wax  to my water/paint mixture in the airbrush. It gives it a better shine plus hardens the paint better

Offline gone2long

• Kicker
« Reply #20 on: 09/06/13 16:13 UTC »
Just for clarification future is not wax based but acrylic based just didn't want any one waxing their paint :o but good tip none the less.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #21 on: 09/06/13 16:15 UTC »
I shot all the blades with a different gun and lacquer. I wanted to be done with these and thought the air brush would get the job done. Since it was nothing but trouble I cleaned it up good and put it back in the box. I'll fart around with that thing when I don't have anything to do....likely this winter while I wait for the get-together come along.

I'll get a pick later and put it up. They turned out real nice. I didn't do the gold/orange with black spots because I have to cut a stencil to spray the dots and I've had enough fun today. The others I can show you.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #22 on: 09/06/13 16:40 UTC »
Here they are. I'll let the finish harden a day or so then add the split rings and hooks, then bag them.

Note to self: add the link stupid.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #23 on: 09/09/13 07:21 UTC »
Here's the last blade I planned to do. Over the years this one color has proven to be the #2 color to use after gold/orange.

This one is call "Wonder Bread" because of the spots on the white. The white base was sprayed on and allowed to set-up for a couple days. Then a clear coat was applied and immediately a fine dusting of standard glow pigment was laid over the wet clear. When the clear was dry to touch the blades were brushed free of loose pigment, then the dots of blue, pink and chartreuse were applied. When the dots were dry to touch the whole blade received another shot of clear coat. The dots are the transparent vinyl jig paint sold here at Do-It and have some glow pigment in them based on color....blue in blue, red glow in the pink and yellow glow in the chartreuse. These baits are something after sitting in a lit room and then have the lights go out.

This color is a trout color pretty much exclusively. When the trout are deep and won't worry the gold/orange, we'll lay one of these in the sun for as long as it takes to pop one of the baits out of the line clip on a ball and get it to the top for a switch. This color will go on and we'll run right back over marked fish that wouldn't chase before and about 60% of the time they'll hammer this one. With the glow baits we like to run the lure about five feet over the fish on a little longer leash. Normally the baits are run about 20 feet behind the bombs but these we'll let out to about 40. If the fish show no interest after a couple passes we'll make one final pass after dropping the cannonball down about twenty feet lower than the fish and when the locator shows the cannonball right under the fish, we pop the line out of the clip and let the slack tow the lure to the top slowly and with a real loose wobble. There are times when all of out lake trout fall to this tactic.
« Last Edit: 09/09/13 07:27 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline RLarson

• Yearling
« Reply #24 on: 09/30/13 09:34 UTC »
looks great tom

Offline tom1441

• Kicker
« Reply #25 on: 01/11/14 11:19 UTC »
Trying to get my airbrush working again with a few 1.5s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #26 on: 01/11/14 21:35 UTC »
Looks like it's working just fine, Tom.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
« Reply #27 on: 01/11/14 22:03 UTC »
Very nice

Offline tom1441

• Kicker
« Reply #28 on: 01/12/14 07:50 UTC »
Thanks guys. It has been about a year or so since I done any painting. I just want to get a few ready for next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk