Author Topic: Disposal of plastic containers????  (Read 9985 times)

Offline ghostbaits

• Lunker
    • Home of Ghost Baits: Hand poured and Hand injected soft plastics
Disposal of plastic containers????
« on: 06/23/11 08:34 UTC »
I raised this on TU as well... How are folks discarding their used plastic containers?

Raw plastisol should not be allowed into the ground or to potentially contaminate water supplies. Seems I have to discard mine in a special place now and pay a fee for each container.

Is everyone just throwing their containers into the regular garbage?

Thoughts???

Jim

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Disposal of plastic containers????
« Reply #1 on: 06/23/11 08:41 UTC »
It should be done the same as oil.  We have a special place to take them (it's free for residents - I'm sure it's built into our bill).

With the new CCM bags you will be able to literally take 100's of gallons worth of plastic in less space than a 5 gallon bucket!

Jason

Offline ghostbaits

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 06/23/11 09:49 UTC »
Thanks for that reply! I can't believe I have not done this for all these years!

In addition, the new packaging will not have the residual plastisol in the container like other packaging has. Just like with the "wine deal", all your liquid is expressed. I have drained a full 8oz out of a jug that I thought was empty before from a previous plastisol package! Waste for me and the environment!

Thanks Jason!

Jim

Offline 412BaitCo

• Lunker
    • 412BaitCo
« Reply #3 on: 08/13/12 20:59 UTC »
Doesn't it say somewhere in the constitution there should be separation between politics and fishing lol?

Offline 412BaitCo

• Lunker
    • 412BaitCo
« Reply #4 on: 08/13/12 21:21 UTC »
I guess it's just one of those things that if people took more responsibilty there would be no need for those agencies. I boat around the lakes I fish and pick up floating pop bottles so on. Beer cans thrown all around the rivers, lakes, streams and just wish people would respect something that so many others love. Just my two cents but I'll stay away from the politics. It goes a lot deeper then just those simple things but those simple things are what people see with their own eyes that makes them think the bigger issues could be possible. 

Offline BassDetective

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 08/13/12 21:22 UTC »
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I think we all want to do the right thing and keep our fish and water clean.

Offline floridagrimp

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 08/13/12 21:33 UTC »
I too like my fish "cleaned"...."fillet and release"...better yet, "fillet and regrease"
"Be sure to fillet and re-grease!"

"WATCH THE FOX, "fair and balanced" in a world filled with leftwing media types!
Obama's added 15 million to food stamp roles in 4 years (and growing).."If you pay folks to be poor then you'll have a lot of poor people"

Offline 412BaitCo

• Lunker
    • 412BaitCo
« Reply #7 on: 08/14/12 11:18 UTC »
My point was to take care of things personally (as in my plastic containers) so that my kids and their kids have rivers and waterways to enjoy.

I live in the country and have a well. Last thing I want is plastisol, farm chemicals (which are everywhere here) or any other crap in my drinking water any more than they already are.

Taking personal responsibility for your actions has nothing to do with Obama, Romney or any other politician. It has to do with doing the right thing and honoring the paradise we have been entrusted with here on earth.

Just saying!!!!!!

Jim

That's exactly what I attempting to say. Perfect!

Offline firetiger

• Kicker
« Reply #8 on: 08/15/12 10:24 UTC »
Soooooooooooo, how does one dispose of a plastic container?   :D

Offline ghostbaits

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 08/15/12 10:24 UTC »
Well, if I can potentially save a few birds while flippin my baits, I will do it. It's how I roll...

Gonna go get me a 1 3/8oz tungsten, a nice punch skirt, 8' flippin stick and this.....

Time to go rip some lips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #10 on: 08/15/12 10:58 UTC »
This is a legitimate thread related to making baits and fishing.  There are real world realities of working with and disposing of plastics.  Let's focus on those and save the political views for another place (off CCM forum).

Thanks,

Jason
« Last Edit: 08/15/12 11:06 UTC by Jason »

Offline 412BaitCo

• Lunker
    • 412BaitCo
« Reply #11 on: 08/15/12 11:42 UTC »
I'm going to check around for an oil disposal place. Is there anything I should tell them about it specifically so they will take it or will they just know?

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #12 on: 08/15/12 11:48 UTC »
I've been biting my tongue to the point where it's starting to bleed.  We start with disposing of plastic containers and evolve into toe to toe arguments about politics.  I think there's a time and place for everything and a forum topic relating to plastic containers isn't the place for political discussion.  I come here to gather information from those who know more than me, to share what little expertise I might have, and to share my time with my online friends.  This thread makes me feel like I'm in my neighbor's home listening to them argue about infidelity, divorce and their good-for-nothing kids.  It gives me a headache and I feel uncomfortable.

Pat, I agree with ninety per cent of what you say, but I think the delivery stinks.  I feel it's confrontational, it puts the listener on the defensive, and it just leads to acrimony and discord.  Politically, I'm a little to the right of Rush Limbaugh, but I don't listen to his show.  I feel he's way too much "in your face" and I don't appreciate that, nor do I respond to it.  In my opinion, conversations like this are vitally important, but they should take place elsewhere.

Case in point...Jeff posted something on the Fisher's of Men page earlier today.  It is a faith based post that I found encouraging and uplifting.  I don't think everyone else on this forum feels the same way.  What they have, however, is the choice to go to Fisher's of Men or not. 

I apologize in advance if I have offended anyone.  That wasn't my intent.  In the words of my own personal hero, Rodney King, "Can't we just all get along?"   
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline ghostbaits

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 08/15/12 12:21 UTC »
I'm going to check around for an oil disposal place. Is there anything I should tell them about it specifically so they will take it or will they just know?

They have gladly taken mine at the place I get my oil changed.

Public apology for getting carried away all!!! I was really having fun after the first round and just was pokin' Pat.

Took it to far on my end!

Jim

Offline floridagrimp

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 08/15/12 12:32 UTC »
Denny, (and Jim) I appreciate what you said, your opinions and your right to say it. i said what I said b/c it's what I believe and while it's not the norm for me. but sometimes I believe we have to "pop the clutch"..as i stated, it's what I believe. God is the discerner of our motives,intent..and  will be judged based on that.

Plz forgive me for anything i said that was wrong, out of God's timing, in the wrong spirit  and/or was hurtful, in Jesus mighty name

I appreciate and respect both of you very much.
« Last Edit: 08/15/12 12:40 UTC by floridagrimp »
"Be sure to fillet and re-grease!"

"WATCH THE FOX, "fair and balanced" in a world filled with leftwing media types!
Obama's added 15 million to food stamp roles in 4 years (and growing).."If you pay folks to be poor then you'll have a lot of poor people"