Author Topic: More success with the Swing Jig  (Read 14352 times)

Offline TheDreamer

• Lunker
    • CBBD
Re: More success with the Swing Jig
« Reply #15 on: 11/17/13 00:00 UTC »
Check hobby lobby or any form of craft/dollar store this time of year for uncoated ornament hooks. They work great to hang tackle for drying/curing. Picked up a couple packs of 150 hooks for $1.99/pack.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://youtu.be/WbozDBM67lY
« Reply #16 on: 11/17/13 00:04 UTC »
That's one thing I try to do if I think about it and am not trying to increase/maximize my take, is change when I'm catching.  Sometimes this is out of the question because my intent is Meat in the Cooler.  Many times, however, I'm on a typical trip and just a few fish is plenty...that's when I can go into the mode of changing while they're biting.  For one to do this, he/she must realize that they're not hungry so they're not depending on harvesting fish in order to eat...and one must realize they're not out to harvest fish to the point that they justify the cost of the trip and/or gear and feel that they've "paid for" the money they spent with what was harvested.  Come to that place, within yourself, and You're where You need to be to change while they're biting, in the Name of Learning.  Be Content.
« Last Edit: 11/17/13 00:10 UTC by BareKnuckleJigs »
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

Noreen BN36
Noreen BN36X3, Carbine-X

Wash.  Your.  Hands.

https://youtu.be/WbozDBM67lY  👈😎

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #17 on: 11/17/13 06:13 UTC »
That's one thing I try to do if I think about it and am not trying to increase/maximize my take, is change when I'm catching.  Sometimes this is out of the question because my intent is Meat in the Cooler.  Many times, however, I'm on a typical trip and just a few fish is plenty...that's when I can go into the mode of changing while they're biting.  For one to do this, he/she must realize that they're not hungry so they're not depending on harvesting fish in order to eat...and one must realize they're not out to harvest fish to the point that they justify the cost of the trip and/or gear and feel that they've "paid for" the money they spent with what was harvested.  Come to that place, within yourself, and You're where You need to be to change while they're biting, in the Name of Learning.  Be Content.

Not knocking your way of thinking here but I look at this totally different then you are. I look at this as Andrew found the sweet spot and the right retrieve to trigger the fish into biting. Or I like to call it a pattern. Once you have figured a pattern out you can go repeat that same pattern over and over again in other places and keep on catching. This is how you win tournaments. Its rare that one spot or a spot fisherman will win. It's the guys that can find the right pattern and repeat it. If I would have been Andrew I may have left that spot and tried to repeat that some where else. But this late in the year I would have just kept on smoking them.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 11/17/13 06:30 UTC »
The real key to this jig is where and the way it's fished. Fishing on gravel or rock bottom with a slow retrieve means that the jig must occasionally catch on bottom and allow the bait to tip up as well as move sideways. This is the key. (My thoughts)

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
« Reply #19 on: 11/17/13 07:51 UTC »
Strange to hear that from the guy that knocked me for keeping 3 bass.

And probably, you should go back and re-read my post that you quoted.  You may understand it the 2nd time.
« Last Edit: 11/17/13 08:02 UTC by BareKnuckleJigs »
.El Gnaw.

"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

Noreen BN36
Noreen BN36X3, Carbine-X

Wash.  Your.  Hands.

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #20 on: 11/17/13 08:16 UTC »
Jerry;  I was wondering if the swing jig was actually having a higher catch rate than; say; the flat bottomed football jig would ( or in Andrew's case the Arky jig ).   Andrew answered that he did indeed fish a different jig and believes the swing jig did better.  We all have our own ideas of what should work the best; and often mine are proven wrong or incomplete in real world testing / application.  That said; I have little doubt that the swing jig is a solid; fish catching jig.  I purchased the mold and really like it; and I believe the free swinging hook concept is an improvement.   But; I have not tested this jig against other jigs and had the fish confirm / deny my belief. I was just wondering if Andrew had done any comparison testing.

Pjmcla, what makes the swing jig so much different is where and how you use it. I use it in conditions and places I wouldn't throw a football head but I also fish it differently. I use it as a crankbait, just the exact same way Tommy Biffle instructed when the hard head came out, make the cast, let it hit bottom and then reel while keeping you rod tip down and at an angle, you don't use the rod to move it all. When fished like that it is a dangerous bait, and I actually think the Do-it head is better because of two things, 1 is the fact there are  more weights to choose from along with hooks, and the 2nd thing is the flat bottom, it makes it much more versatile and I have found other ways of using it and that is key, versatility, it is like have a jig and a crankbait on the rod at the same time.

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
« Reply #21 on: 11/17/13 09:20 UTC »
Like have a jig and crankbait on the same rod.

Amen smalljaw. That is exactly how I feel about it.  I lost a pig on it yesterday. Swimming it down a fallen tree.  I threw up on the tree right where it started in the water and reeled that thing all the way down the trunk and slam she hit it.   Bad thing is she got me wrapped up.  And could not get her out.    She hit it hard enough it scared me!!!'   : )

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
« Reply #22 on: 11/17/13 10:26 UTC »
Justin, I saw You hook that fish.  It was a Choupique.  LOL
.El Gnaw.

"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

Noreen BN36
Noreen BN36X3, Carbine-X

Wash.  Your.  Hands.

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #23 on: 11/17/13 11:59 UTC »
THIS for those of you who aren't up on the Cajun lingo...

https://www.google.com/#q=choupique

your welcome,

Jerry
"What started as a hobby is now a way of life."  Justin9j

"It's a shame I have to work, cause I really don't have time for it." Shane

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
« Reply #24 on: 11/17/13 12:05 UTC »
Nuthin' but Love, Justin Bro!
.El Gnaw.

"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

Noreen BN36
Noreen BN36X3, Carbine-X

Wash.  Your.  Hands.

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
« Reply #25 on: 11/17/13 13:06 UTC »
Ha ha ha. I had to look it up.   Guess I'm to far north. 
It's all good Gary.  We did hook a catfish in a tournament couple weeks ago. Thought we had a very good bass for about thirty seconds. 

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #26 on: 11/17/13 14:54 UTC »
I am lining up the baits I am going to start fishing with the swing jig and checking bait to hook to jig head. 
For those that have poured the mold ---  What hooks and hook sizes are you using?  I read Andrew is using a 3/0 --  is it a wide gap?    I am looking at starting off with 4/0 and 5/0 wide gap style hooks  Mustad - 38104 & 38105, Gamakatsu 584 & 744,  And maybe one or possibly two Trokars.   
« Last Edit: 11/17/13 15:12 UTC by pjmcla »

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
« Reply #27 on: 11/17/13 15:17 UTC »
I have used all Ewg hooks. From 2/0 to 6/0.  Eagles, gama, and trokar.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #28 on: 11/17/13 17:42 UTC »
I have been using the suggested Do-it hook and the KVD Grip Pin hook which are both wide gaps. I added a piece of magnetic tape from WalMart (back in the craft area) to help hold the hooks stationary. I glued the piece of magnet to the base area and when I place the hook the first time I crimped down on the handles really hard to score a slot in the magnet.

After I powder paint them I aggressively use the hook eye to scrap the paint from the wire and hook eye before I cure them in the oven.

When I just mold the Swing-Jig I cure the jigs by holding them in an alligator clip which I smashed the bottom flat and inserted into my TJ's Jig Clamp.

" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #29 on: 11/17/13 18:06 UTC »
That's a pretty cool idea. Hey I'm from the 70's, we have plenty of those alligator clips left over. LOL