Author Topic: my fluid bed setup i made  (Read 5246 times)

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
Re: my fluid bed setup i made
« Reply #15 on: 01/06/14 21:46 UTC »
I can see you running around your painting table with a hot piece of lead in hand  trying to work magic with your three colors.  It's not a pretty sight.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline jmatheny9

• Lunker
« Reply #16 on: 01/06/14 22:03 UTC »
how do these things work???
-Jeremiah

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #17 on: 01/07/14 06:55 UTC »
   That's what I need to do and find a way to make extra cups. The one I have those cups are $18 each. And there's not much to them.

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #18 on: 01/07/14 10:11 UTC »
Lamar...I'm pretty sure I've seen some YouTube videos on how to make your own.  It doesn't look like rocket science.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #19 on: 01/07/14 11:20 UTC »
   That's what I need to do and find a way to make extra cups. The one I have those cups are $18 each. And there's not much to them.

Making the cups is easy.
For a simple cup here is how I make mine.
First cut your PVC pipe to length. You can use 2" or 3" pipe depending on what you want.
Then insert a knock out test cap in your PVC. These caps are available from your hardware store where you got the PVC from for ~.35 cents each.
Place the PVC on a hard surface and knock out the center of the test cap with a hammer and discard the center piece.
Next remove the remaining ring from the knock out test cap. Place your filter membrane over your PVC cup and replace the ring for a nice tight fit and trim the excess filter material. You now have a fluid bed cup.
For the filter membrane you can use all sorts of stuff. Printer paper of different weights,Brown paper bags, Tyvek house wrap (label side up) or get Tyvek free from the post office envelopes. The outer bag material from vaccum cleaner bags, coffee filters etc. etc. Each paint with it's different pigments may prefer a different filter membrane.
For hard sided cups I bought some Fluidizing plate from a guy on EBAY, I used a drill press and a hole saw with the centering bit removed. I cut them to the approximate size then had to sand them down a hair to fit my 2" cups.
Then glue them in with a hot glue gun. I got the 8"X8" fluidizing plate for cheap enough(can't remember offhand how much) and I made 9 circles for my 2" cups from one sheet.

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #20 on: 01/07/14 22:27 UTC »
Here's a step by step on how I made mine - this is for a 2 inch but you can do the same thing bigger just buy bigger pieces.  I had messed up my Photobucket pics so on the thread below go to post #18 and the pictures are back in. 

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/showthread.php/218053-Repost-of-fluid-bed-build/page2

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #21 on: 01/08/14 05:51 UTC »
  Thanks I'll check it out. Every time I get a new color I need a new cup.

Offline Botanophilia

• Lunker
« Reply #22 on: 01/09/14 22:52 UTC »
I built my fluid bed today.  Less than $20, which will give me a number of cups.  Granted I already have air pumps and air lines galore, so if you build one it will have that added cost as well; but still significantly less cost than buying one.  Took me 5 minutes to put together.