Author Topic: Adding pearl powder to paint  (Read 3834 times)

Online gone2long

• Kicker
Adding pearl powder to paint
« on: 02/02/14 07:34 UTC »
Someone posted a powder site that had a sample pack offer of 4 different colors of 5 grams each for $7 plus shipping so I bought it. I have AB medium which is colorless acrylic paint I also have illustration base and transparent base my question is has  anyone made a homemade batch similar to this maybe adding some to a color of paint I would like to make a 2oz batch from the colorless material first I did see a ratio from the website that gives me a baseline for how much powder to paint so has anyone here tried this yet I would like it to be an accent top coat prior to clear coating or maybe even mixed in the clear coat if anyone has experience with that I'm using Etex Lite right now.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Adding pearl powder to paint
« Reply #1 on: 02/02/14 08:18 UTC »
My experience with these powders is that it doesn't take a whole lot to get the job done. In a clear acrylic I am guessing that you are looking to top coat a base color. If such is the case, I'd spray several patched of the base color on a cardboard surface and allow them to dry, then I'd start adding the powder to the clear in small steps and trial a shot after each addition until you get what you are looking for as far as coverage and effect. I'd be fairly specific on the powder additions to a specified amount of the clear paint and write down everything so it can be duplicated at a later date.

Online gone2long

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 02/02/14 08:41 UTC »
Yeah that's what I'm interested in a top coat highlight kinda thing sorta like pearlescent but only from the powder no color added. I'll fool around with 1oz batches and see how it goes was hoping someone has some tricks/tips for me.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/02/14 09:24 UTC »
It depends on the effects you are trying to attain. A simple top coat with the pearls mixed at a very moderate rate will put some dazzle in the real color. Honestly if you know what color you want as a base, just start with the small amount of clear and add the pearl slowly doing a quick shot after each pearl addition. It won't take that long and you might be amazed at how fast you'll get to your target effect.

Offline TheDreamer

• Lunker
    • CBBD
« Reply #4 on: 02/02/14 11:16 UTC »
I use the Do-it highlights in Createx Clear Coat, I have multiple mixtures. I have a bunch of empty paint bottles that I clean out and remove the labels. I added "X" amount of the highlight to the empty bottle, then filled it with clear and tossed in a stainless steel ball bearing. Tried it out and found that it was enough for a light highlight over previously laid colors. So I made the same amount with each color. Once those were done I wanted something that I could make a more solid pattern with. I added almost tripple the original amount of highlight and repeated the previous steps. It now allows me to lay solid-like scales on just about anything. I will post some pics of the different styles but for anyone who attended the Do-it get together can tell you about the Little John blank that was done with this.

#CBBDARMY @CustomBaitsByDrew
« Last Edit: 02/02/14 11:18 UTC by TheDreamer »

Offline TheDreamer

• Lunker
    • CBBD
« Reply #5 on: 02/02/14 11:20 UTC »

Online gone2long

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 02/02/14 11:44 UTC »
Good deal that's the effect I'm looking for nice work!

Offline TheDreamer

• Lunker
    • CBBD
« Reply #7 on: 02/02/14 13:43 UTC »
Thanks G2L!

Offline Eep3501

• Keeper
« Reply #8 on: 02/02/14 17:06 UTC »
Outstanding looking baits....

Offline TheDreamer

• Lunker
    • CBBD
« Reply #9 on: 02/02/14 21:15 UTC »
Thanks Eep

Offline tom1441

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 02/03/14 06:22 UTC »
Sure do look good Drew. I hope to get there some day.

Online WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 02/08/14 03:02 UTC »
Drew amazing as usual.  8)

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 02/08/14 06:26 UTC »
I've seen a lot of custom paint jobs and yours is the best! Hope KVD gets to see your work; I know he'll be interested.