Author Topic: Painted Eyes on frogs  (Read 3367 times)

kipbass

Painted Eyes on frogs
« on: 08/24/11 21:33 UTC »
Wife has polymer clay paint sitting around, now she's all up in my kool-aid messing with my baits!
Don't know the brand or anything, but I can find out if someone wants to know. It did survive the dip.
I call this next one baby bass, it's a work in progress, not quite ready..
Here's a few 5" sticks, they have a nice wobble with a 5.0 ewg hook, better than store bought  .

kipbass

Re: Painted Eyes on frogs
« Reply #1 on: 08/24/11 21:36 UTC »
oops posted same pic twice...sorry ..new to posting pics..

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: 08/25/11 08:04 UTC »
Super nice looking baits.  I'm not sure what kind of psychology you can use to keep your wife painting eyes on your Croakers, but I would be all over that.  They look great!

Jason

Offline ghostbaits

• Lunker
    • Home of Ghost Baits: Hand poured and Hand injected soft plastics
« Reply #3 on: 08/25/11 08:24 UTC »
Kewl!!! Does this stuff affect the bait after a period of time (guess we will find out..) and does it change the baits action on the sticks?

When I think clay, of course I think it will harden over time but probably not polymer.

Really cool deal. Never seen or heard of anything like this yet!!!

Jim

Offline knifemaker3

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 08/25/11 11:35 UTC »

Those look good.  I too would be interested in if it hardens over time.  Also, what are the cost?  If it works looks like a much cheaper alternative to peel and stick eyes.

Keep us posted!
God Bless!

Craig Blankenship
Craig's Outdoor Sports
www.craigsoutdoorsports. com

kipbass

« Reply #5 on: 08/25/11 18:18 UTC »
Those look good.  I too would be interested in if it hardens over time.  Also, what are the cost?  If it works looks like a much cheaper alternative to peel and stick eyes.

Keep us posted!
Sorry if this post was misleading...IT IS CRAFTING PAINT no clay is used. I thought the paint was specific for polymer clay, it's not...the brand name is PLAID, find it anywhere, it's about .96 cents for 2oz bottle.
It's a water base paint, it must be dry before dipping, and the bait must be dipped after the eye is dry. I didn't do anything to the sticks with it...sorry they're a standard stick with salt. The baby bass are a the same sticks in the other picture,only lams, i just dipped them in clear plastic...Make them super soft, and dip in hard..Lots of Action

On a side note..polymer clay can be used as a negative to cast in POP or whatever you want to make an open pour mold out of, after it's been baked.

Offline ghostbaits

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 08/26/11 07:54 UTC »
I use some Plaid paints now. Can you tell me what type this is? Like does it have something else on the label other than Plaid...

Thanks!

Jim

kipbass

« Reply #7 on: 08/26/11 18:33 UTC »
I use some Plaid paints now. Can you tell me what type this is? Like does it have something else on the label other than Plaid...

Thanks!

Jim
Top of label says "Apple Barrel Colors" Middle of label has "Craft Paint" and a pic of a top half of a apple. Back of label says "Permanent, fast Drying,waterbase"
it's high-quality, all-purpose acrylic paints.
My wife used a q-tip to make a dot with white, then yellow with the handle tip of the crafting paint brush, then a wooden bamboo skewer to dot on the black pupil. Hope that helps.

Offline ghostbaits

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 08/27/11 09:17 UTC »
Sure did. I have some of the discontinued paint from Plaid that is called "Paint for Plastic". Water based as well.

I hope this other stuff is comparable so I an still do a little paint if needed.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Jim