Author Topic: high heat glitter mixed with powder paint?  (Read 2332 times)

Offline jkwildhunting

• Kicker
high heat glitter mixed with powder paint?
« on: 09/16/14 23:24 UTC »
Before the disco paints were available I bought a bunch of craft glitter and mixed with powder paint. The outcome was poor or I did not have the mixture correct. The glitter flaked off even after clear coat and Trying some different other methods. I see do- it has several colors of glitter that look like would make a great color with some "glitter flash"

Question is has anyone done this with good results?  I want a durable finish and something similar to disco paint look.

If you prefer to pm me that is fine.

Thanks in advance
Joe
Joe
Fish On

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
Re: high heat glitter mixed with powder paint?
« Reply #1 on: 09/18/14 08:35 UTC »
Mixing powder paint and glitter can be tricky!!!  It took me a long time to get comfortable with it and when I first started I got some flaky ones.  It happens to all of us. 

Problems mixing range from glitter size to not enough clear in the mix so the glitter flows right and isn't bumpy.  One piece of advice I was given to begin was buy clear powder paint by the pound!!!  You really don't realize how much you use mixing. 

This is a two coat mix - copper penny with a clear coat of irridescent orange glitter which I've posted before

Here are two that have the glitter mixed right in and they took a while to get right

My glitter comes from JoAnnes, Michaels, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby (only  get there when I'm back home) and Walmart.  I use fine and extra fine, and all of them work.  Brands include Creatix, WOW, Nicoles, JoAnnes House brand and Tulip.  Several other boards I'm on have sections on paint mix's and the amounts used, including glitter coats. 

If you need more help just let me know and I'll try and help you out, but mixing powder paint can get just as addictive as any other tackle making. 

Offline Botanophilia

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 09/18/14 09:44 UTC »
I don't use glitters to the point of disco glitters but I agree with Fatman about them being a little tricky; even in smaller amounts.  Even for the tiny amount of powder I do, buy more clear than you think you need.  And more empty storage containers is also good.  I find most glitters work better in powder than they do in plastic, so don't be afraid to experiment.  Don't be afraid to try something that sounds odd either.  One of my best heads this year is candy orange w/ purple micro glitter.  I did that one over both white and plain lead and they both look good, over white is of course brighter and the purple glitter shows up better. 

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 09/29/14 16:10 UTC »
You need to decide on how big of a head you plan to coat. On small heads, even .015 glitter can create a rough finish. .008 can get rough. In all of my glitter paints I use a micro-glitter, .004 or smaller. I don't use glitter treated powder on heads over 1/16.