Author Topic: Shipping  (Read 4666 times)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
Shipping
« on: 10/24/11 09:20 UTC »
Just a quick note regarding shipping.  We have tried to get shipping charges as accurate as possible, but sometimes it is just off, especially when purchasing a couple small items.  As many of you know we won't let it go through like this.  We normally send an e-mail or call to see how you would like it to be corrected (credit, additional product, etc.).

Doing this can be time consuming for what normally is less than $4.50.  You might ask, why bother?  I guess because it's the right thing to do.  We don't treat shipping as a for profit item.  We try and keep it as low as possible, so you can receive the most value for your money.

So here's the question: in cases where we can save money on shipping, would it be acceptable to do so and just add the additional product to the order (without the e-mail or phone call)?  This is what most have indicated they would prefer and it saves us additional money in processing fees for doing a credit.

Please be honest as to your preference (PM me if you don't want to post publicly).

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: Shipping
« Reply #1 on: 10/24/11 09:59 UTC »
Sounds ok with me.  Some extra baits in the sample pack would be good with me. I like seeing the other molds, your colors etc.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 10/24/11 11:21 UTC »
I would not be opposed to Glitter, Hooks, Keepers, Colors, Scents, etc. whatever gets you close.  Would be a "surprise in the box" thing.
What ever is easy for you, and allows you to feel "all is square".

Offline BassDetective

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 10/24/11 11:30 UTC »
I like the sample idea.  It makes the most sense and would benefit all.  More possible sales and we get to try before we buy.  The only other idea is a credit.  Don't know if the system can auto track credit balances or not could be way more work than you want.

Offline bribass

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 10/24/11 12:13 UTC »
i agree with the sample idea!

or i would be for maybe a sample of unique glitter color or dyes that isnt normally used by most! That way we can try something new and also probably result in more sales for yourself. its a win win

Offline MikeInCtown

• Yearling
« Reply #5 on: 10/24/11 13:01 UTC »
+1 on a small sample. Last order I made you dropped a bag of sample baits in there. From that I saw a couple molds I wanted to try.  8)

Offline superharmonix

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 10/24/11 13:02 UTC »
I know I for one would stand behind any product that leaves your shop...plus....I love surprises.  I am all for the goodies vs trying to process and track credit balances, or giving refunds- not cost effective and doesn't help on the accounting end of things.

kipbass

« Reply #7 on: 10/24/11 14:16 UTC »
I would use the tracking program you currently use to send us emails requesting product reviews. With this you should be able to see what we have not purchased in the past in terms of glitter/colorant extras. As for myself, I would rather have that over sample baits. One fish your bait could be gone, with colorant/glitter I can experiment with something I might not have known.

Offline Posty

• Minnow
« Reply #8 on: 10/24/11 14:48 UTC »
Samples are great! No phone call. Ken

Offline firetiger

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 10/24/11 17:19 UTC »
I'm not sure I would want glitter or color that I wouldn't use.  It's kind of a crap shoot on that one.  Now, you are going to have to start making a lot more baits to ship out so your work load shifts from accounting to production.

I'm not sure there is an easy answer for everyone.  I would probably go with more baits to try out.

How do other websites control their shipping charges.  Is it by weight of items that are entered into the system or dollar amount sold?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #10 on: 10/24/11 17:57 UTC »
I'm not sure I would want glitter or color that I wouldn't use.  It's kind of a crap shoot on that one.  Now, you are going to have to start making a lot more baits to ship out so your work load shifts from accounting to production.

I'm not sure there is an easy answer for everyone.  I would probably go with more baits to try out.

How do other websites control their shipping charges.  Is it by weight of items that are entered into the system or dollar amount sold?

Most companies use UPS or FedEx and charge you retail or a portion of retail.  Depending on their volume they may get a discount of 40-60% off retail.  UPS and FedEx are mainly distance and weight driven so calculating this is easy (most systems do it for you).

We use USPS Priority flat rate and size is the real factor, not weight.  It's good because it's less expensive and normally gets there in 2-3 days.  It's difficult to set up a system to know exactly what combos will fit in a specific box.  We've done a pretty good job of working around this limitation and only have this issue once in a while.  I'm just overly sensitive to shipping charges because I don't like paying them myself.  If we can safely ship it in a smaller box - we do.

Seeing how this doesn't happen that often I will just shoot out an e-mail when it does.

Thanks,

Jason

Offline superharmonix

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 10/24/11 19:09 UTC »
Jason, thank you AGAIN for putting the voice of the customer in front of those other voices in there.   :D
Obedience = blessings and doing what is right is certainly an obedient thing indeed. 
You, and your family, are VERY much appreciated.  THANK YOU!

Offline MikeInCtown

• Yearling
« Reply #12 on: 10/25/11 10:01 UTC »

Other sites don't care if they collect $4 more for shipping on a few orders. Jason does, which makes him a standup guy and someone who I hope to deal with more as I get $$ to spend. Also, companies do get huge discounts depending on volume (we pay $6 for a next day air FedEx envelope) So in some cases, shipping makes them a few bucks.

kipbass

« Reply #13 on: 10/25/11 18:22 UTC »
It really chaps my hide when people try to make money from shipping charges. I had one guy on Ebay attempt to charge me $60 shipping for a set of golf clubs. My cousin who just bought a set a few days before that, was only charged $35 UPS from an on-line retailer. Needless to say, I didn't buy the clubs though I won the bid, he did go to $40 for shipping, but I felt burned. I don't deal with dishonest people.

Offline MikeInCtown

• Yearling
« Reply #14 on: 10/26/11 19:24 UTC »
kipbass, I used to ship sets of clubs for less than $15. Even at $30, the retailer was making a killing. eBay knows people were avoiding fees by selling super low, then inflating the shipping so they started to compute fees on the total final cost. Just another example of how people make money from shipping charges..