Author Topic: follow the rules  (Read 6887 times)

Offline Cornel

• Minnow
follow the rules
« on: 10/29/15 20:31 UTC »
Got me 10% second degree burns to my left hand ...Oh the agony.  Follow the rules  I have been pouring softs now for a few years  and was still doing all wrong
WEAR A LONG SHIRT OR COAT..... HAD ONLY A PAIR OF PANTS ON.
WEARGLOVES......                        WHAT FOR.
EYEPROTECTION....                      BECOMES MISTY
MICROWAVE SAFE...                     THATS WHAT IT SAYS

i HAD A HEAT RESISTANT INJECTOR EXPLODE IN MY HAND... Stupid stupid follow the rules these plastic are super hot wear all the protective clothing as stiulated and then some  :-X

Offline Walking Dead

• Kicker
Re: follow the rules
« Reply #1 on: 10/29/15 20:51 UTC »
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident.

What is a heat resistant injector?

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 10/29/15 22:03 UTC »
It happens to the best of us once or twice the key is do like you said fallow the rules!!! The key is take your time, time to wear the correct gear,  to go slow and careful and time to keep the work area clean and clutter free. I hope you heal up quick!! I know first hand burns hurt!

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #3 on: 10/29/15 23:57 UTC »
Sorry to hear about the injury, Cornel.  When you feel up to it, I'd like to hear what happened.  Maybe name what products you were using, what failed and why, microwave "save"???  With your help our members might be able to avoid what happened to you.  Thanks.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline Cornel

• Minnow
« Reply #4 on: 10/30/15 01:45 UTC »
Thank you all for your concern. The wound is all blistery around the places the skin was burned offand sore as hell..... But to the main issue when I started off wih plastics I did hand pouring but as you know the results are poor. so I upped to two part molds still hand pour but the results were much better near pro quality so I upped the game and started injector moulding what I ended up with was a syringe type injector ."Chef's Grade Stainless Steel Flavour Injector " a price range that was affordable,and the seller assured me it could take the heat up to 400 degrees and that it was microwave safe,ok first bloob steel and micro do not work together," I did not know so this was the wife's input" so I contiued to heat the plastic Plastisol in a Pyrex container and repoured the molten plastic into the  Flavour Injector screwed the top back on and injected the mold ,worked fine for 3 years made some nice lures to, that is till the nozzle popped off and 4 oz of hot rubber got sprayed onto my hand and palm  I tried to insert  some pics but still a newbee to this forum was not able to do so.Feel free to contact me at cornel54@mweb.co.za for images of the product and lures that I made with it till I get this picture thing sorted out.    I am sure this hand held injector will work if used as per specs .it was hot to the touch and me not wearing cloves did not fasten the nozzle enough or a o ring collapsed. So wear protective clothing ,long sleeves,cloves, glasses Google the name Big Green Egg 
Chef's Grade Stainless Steel Flavour Injector   It is a good product and I am not blaming anybody but my own stupidity.

« Last Edit: 10/30/15 01:46 UTC by Cornel »

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #5 on: 10/30/15 08:08 UTC »
Hope the hand is healing nicely. 
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 10/30/15 09:19 UTC »
Cornell, welcome to the Do-It forums. It would have been a sweeter entry had you not done so half cooked.

I think we all have war reminders in the form of scars from burns and at times I wonder if it isn't just part of the learning curve with the plastic cooking and injection. I too tried to inject using an injector that was not specific to this plastic and managed to re-decorate the kitchen walls, the stove, the refer, a large portion of floor, the front of all of the clothes I was wearing and of course my hands and neck. 1st, 2nd, and a couple small areas of third degree burns were my companions for several weeks while things healed up. Today whenever I am showing anybody how the injection process works, they see the scars before they see anything and get the schpiel on plastic temperature while they think about the scarring. You're not alone and we all feel your pain. We're all going to tell you to use the proper equipment too....and that means using an injector designed to use using this plastic, not a meat injector.

Keep those burns clean and loosely covered. Serious burns take some time to heal and if you take care of the affected area you'll be fine.

Again, welcome aboard!

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 10/30/15 10:46 UTC »
Welcome to the forums.
Wow that has got to hurt.
I guess saving a few $$ on an injector was not the safest thing to do.
I've had a few hot lead incidents over the years but was always wearing the correct PPE (personal protective equipment)
And have yet to get seriously hurt.knock on wood.
Keep it safe and buy a real plastic injector.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #8 on: 10/30/15 11:15 UTC »
Ditto re Tom and Kasil re the injector.  Thanks for sharing.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 10/30/15 14:45 UTC »
I feel your pain... literally.  I'm finally coming off my lead burn.  Use lots of Neosporin. 

I actually got the yips after that accident even though I had been pouring jigs since I was 12.  I'm OK now but I will never get lazy on the safety gear again.

When I first got started pouring plastic, Del from Del-Mart told me to never use anything but Pyrex or they could explode.  No Anchor Hocking, no knock offs.  Does anyone use Anchor Hocking?  have you ever had a problem?

I had the bottom blow out of a Pyrex one time.  It was a re-melt cup and I think I ended up with too much glitter on the bottom and it caused a hot spot.

Be safe!

Marc

Offline Cornel

• Minnow
« Reply #10 on: 10/30/15 15:31 UTC »
Thank you for the kind words ,saw a doctor earlier after the small finger started to curl back(nerve end spasm)....As I mentioned earlier I am new to the forum
and to page through all would take ages,could you perhaps steer me in the right direction for handheld injectors that do international shipping ie South Africa .
Thanks again to you and all the Custom Baits members .
btw I do Balsa wood lures and Smooth on  casting resin lures also,
Cornel.

Offline Cornel

• Minnow
« Reply #11 on: 10/30/15 16:04 UTC »
I found images of the injector I was useing on your forum as I said earlier I think it will work .....But use ppe and make sure the nozzle is fastened.see a post made some time ago

Re: Update - Found Stainless Steel Meat Injector for Laminates, Claws, Tails, Etc

This is the be-atch.