Author Topic: 3.5" Swim Shad, 3 color  (Read 4407 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
3.5" Swim Shad, 3 color
« on: 04/28/16 18:10 UTC »
Here's a 3.5" Swim Shad done using the Super Sparkle belly color that's hand poured. The brown line is and olive color made using X2 watermelon brown with bronze hi lite and black .015 flake. The purple back color is X2 purple [12 drops per 4 ounce batch] with X2 Florida grape [2 drops], blue and purple .015 glitter and violet hi lite. There is some uv enhancer in there too. The brown and purple were done using the twin injector. The eyes are from Boggs and are 7mm, maybe just a hair large for this bait but they really make a statement. The eyes are three color as well....orange, gold and the asymmetrical black pupil.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
Re: 3.5" Swim Shad, 3 color
« Reply #1 on: 04/28/16 18:43 UTC »
Nice job Tom. I've been thinking about trying some 3 color swim shads. Looks like the duel injector works slick for this.

Offline DF

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 04/28/16 18:53 UTC »
Super! your on a roll ctom

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/28/16 20:50 UTC »
Very nice.

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 04/28/16 22:00 UTC »
Those are incredible Tom! 

When I first bought that mold I was a little skeptical about the weird "finger" tail.  Then I started fishing it and it quickly became my favorite swimbait.  The action is amazing.  That 3.5" is deadly on the 1/4 ounce and 3/8 ounce Herring head.  EC#635 2/0 hook.  You cant fish it wrong.

A good friend of my daughter (16 years old) has been asking if he could tag along to Lake Michigan one morning.  He loves to fish but no one in his family fishes.  The biggest thing he ever caught was a 12" bass.  So two weekends ago I picked him up at 5:00am and we head down in the bitter cold.  I set him up with the 3.5" Swim Shad and 3/8th ounce Herring Head.  Saturday he got a 22" Brown.  He was ecstatic!!!  He's back in for Sunday morning too.  That day he lands a 27" on the same bait.  Hes a believer!!!

It's a great tail and those you poured are amazing!  Try that set up off your pier in Lake Superior!!!  I think you will be happy with the results. 

Marc

Offline Bass in the hood

• Kicker
    • Bass in the Hood
« Reply #5 on: 04/28/16 22:08 UTC »
great job very nice colors.

Offline knw

• Yearling
« Reply #6 on: 05/12/16 12:56 UTC »
got a question if yall don't mind, are you using the thin tail molds or the original or is the difference enough to worry with?
I feel more like I do now than I did.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 05/12/16 13:01 UTC »
The one shown here is the regular tail. Does the tail thickness matter? Not to me and certainly hasn't as far as the walleyes are concerned while using this bait. I'm sure those who have worked with both tails will chime in somewhere here, but for me this model works just fine. More durable too.

Offline knw

• Yearling
« Reply #8 on: 05/12/16 13:16 UTC »
Thank you Sir, would not have even considered this mold until I saw the pictures you posted. Very nice looking baits, you do nice work

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 05/12/16 14:02 UTC »
Its pretty simple to three colors even without a twin injector if you don't mind the tail, being a single color. Hand pour the belly and the back for a center color and tail. Hand pour two colors into the belly section and inject a color for the tail and back. The belly will be a bit out of proportion doing this but hand pour two colors in the back and inject the belly/tail color. Lots of play space with this mold and for getting started with some of these two and three color baits this mold is both large and small enough to let you find your way without a pile of headaches. Great mold all around. 

Offline knw

• Yearling
« Reply #10 on: 05/12/16 14:56 UTC »
Thanks, im just getting started and can see this hobby is going to cost just as much as fishing does. would love to have one of these about seven inches long to pull through the grass at Guntersville.

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 05/12/16 16:36 UTC »
"would not have even considered this mold until I saw the pictures you posted"

Knw, I felt the same way years ago.  I considered this a "twister tail" type bait and not really a swim bait like a paddle tail... till I started to fish it.  Its NOT a twister tail.  Its become one of my favorite, if not the #1, swim bait that I use.  You have to see that three fingered tail in action.  Very unique action!

Marc

Offline knw

• Yearling
« Reply #12 on: 05/13/16 17:23 UTC »
Thanks, got one on the way in 3.5" guess I'll add the 4.5" to my wish list also.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 05/13/16 19:38 UTC »
I agree I got this bait thinking it was a compromise to the paddle tail type swimbait. I still like paddle tail swimbait, but I really think thus bait out fishes them most days. I've even caught crappies on the 3.5". Can't tell you how many walleyes and smallies I've caught on the swim shad.

Online Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 05/13/16 20:34 UTC »
I'm with Mike. A fine bait that is very versatile. I've had little trouble shooting either mold. 3.5 or 4.5. Fish the 3.5 the most cause it fits my fishing style most. Great for a chatter bait trailer. Works on the arig. Stand alone on a shad head. Great shad imitator, IMO.