Author Topic: Safety Question  (Read 7913 times)

Offline Rwall89

• Yearling
Safety Question
« on: 12/29/16 20:30 UTC »
I am new to pouring my own baits. I currently do not have an extra room, shop, or basement to make my work space so I use my kitchen (with my wife's permission). I have a screen door in the kitchen and open a window, plus i turn on the vent for my stove. Is this enough to remove the fumes or do I need to take more steps? My kitchen is relatively small. Looks more like a hallway than a kitchen.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: Safety Question
« Reply #1 on: 12/29/16 22:16 UTC »
MAYBE ...but wear a respirator.

A big box fan would also help.

Don't use the kitchen microwave! Get a dedicated one...or heat your plastic in a small pot.

PM Bareknuckles for tips on heating with a pot.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 12/30/16 11:50 UTC »
If you can run an extension cord outside to a makeshift bench for all heating procedures, I would recommend doing so... the fumes for both plastic and lead will ultimately precipitate somewhere and you don't want these to mingle with any surfaces that might touch your food.  (Andy's recommendation for a dedicated microwave should be strongly considered!)

Non-airborne particles are much easier to monitor/contain, so assembling lures, tying, and some painting can be done safely inside with some "good housekeeping" practices.

Offline Rwall89

• Yearling
« Reply #3 on: 12/30/16 14:17 UTC »
I have an extra microwave that I can start using. I have a small uninsulated metal shop in my back yard. If I could run extension cord out to it to get lights and run the microwave, would that be a good idea? Or would the space be to confined and temperature be too big of a factor. The building is 11 ft by 11 ft.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 12/30/16 15:28 UTC »
11 X 11 is big enough. Toss together a cheap bench and have at it. You don't mention where you live so we have no idea what sort of temperature extremes you might have to work around, but a good heavy duty power cord and a fan would be needed for your power. I'd use a heavy duty power strip if the building is not wired. The fan will push air out of the work area to outside while making sure you have a reliable way to let fresh air in. The big thing is to keep any exhaust from plastic or lead from right under your snout while working. A fan goes a long way in moving any of the bad stuff away from that area.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Rwall89

• Yearling
« Reply #5 on: 12/30/16 15:42 UTC »
Yea I didn't mention where I live lol. I live in Tennessee. I plan on using a heat lamp out there as well to try to keep it somewhat warm during the winter

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 12/30/16 16:57 UTC »
I would go with the shed...and a big fan!
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Rwall89

• Yearling
« Reply #7 on: 12/30/16 18:49 UTC »
http://custombaits.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2934

Here is a very professional mock up of what I'm going to do with my work space. Obviously the trailer won't be in there and there will be a fan by the door and probably more light. Hopefully the heat lamp keeps it warm enough in there to not set up too quick.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 12/30/16 18:57 UTC »
Looking good so far!

Offline Carolina Fisher

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 12/30/16 19:49 UTC »
http://custombaits.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2934

Here is a very professional mock up of what I'm going to do with my work space. Obviously the trailer won't be in there and there will be a fan by the door and probably more light. Hopefully the heat lamp keeps it warm enough in there to not set up too quick.

You could put one of those portable propane attachment heaters in as well just a thought and they are relatively inexpensive and just screw on top of a propane tank. I live in the mountains of western NC we border TN . So our climate is similar.  Looks like your on the right track and you have plenty of space to work with.
« Last Edit: 12/30/16 19:53 UTC by Carolina Fisher »

Offline Rwall89

• Yearling
« Reply #10 on: 12/30/16 22:08 UTC »
The building was a good idea but i can't pull enough power out there to run everything I need so it is back to the drawing board I go. I tried it out tonight and had a blackout. I have a room in my house with a wood burning fire place. Thinking about making a vent system to pull through the chimney. If that doesn't work then I'll be a warm weather only bait maker and do it in my carport.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 12/31/16 18:16 UTC »
Have you tried a bigger extension cord, or an alternate plug-in to get your power?... both of these can make a difference so you won't need to have a dedicated circuit to power your shop.  Also, if you have an outlet essentially attached to (right next to or below) your breaker panel, chances are it is a dedicated (service) outlet and you should be able to power anything you need from this... (if it's wired according to the NEC).

Offline Rwall89

• Yearling
« Reply #12 on: 12/31/16 18:36 UTC »
The shop is pretty far from my house, takes three extension cords to reach out there and that is the only one close enough to run. I think making a vent will be cheaper than buying enough heavy duty extension cord to run out there

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 01/01/17 17:54 UTC »
Gotcha.. I misunderstood your limited power situation.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 01/02/17 08:24 UTC »
I second the idea of using one of those screw on heaters by Mr. Heater or the Mr. Heater/cooker. I used the Mr. Heater/cooker for years in my 8 x 8 ice shack and it kept things toasty warm even in temps colder than -20 no problem.

http://www.mrheater.com/sporting/15-000-btu-single-tank-top-heater.html

http://www.mrheater.com/sporting/15-000-btu-single-tank-top-heater-cooker-1688.html

Another option might be to go with a Coleman or other brand propane lantern. That would help you out with two of your issues, heat and light. It's not an ideal solution as it would depend on how cold it gets in your neck of the woods but it MIGHT throw off enough heat to cut the chill in your shed ?

If it were me, I would just break down and buy a heavy duty,outdoor use extension cord/cords. I just had to drop 25 bucks on a 25 foot 12ga. heavy duty cord myself. I wasn't thrilled about paying that kind of money for an extension cord...But... Unless I wanted to risk tripping a breaker or risk creating a safety issue it was pretty much my only option for what I wanted to do.   

How much cord do you have to run to get to your shed ?