Author Topic: Lee melting pot for plastic  (Read 4734 times)

Offline baseballer_62801

• Yearling
Lee melting pot for plastic
« on: 05/09/17 16:01 UTC »
Have anyone used one and are they worth the money?

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Lee melting pot for plastic
« Reply #1 on: 05/09/17 16:15 UTC »
I've never tried one and haven't heard any commentary on using so I can't say one way or the other. I know they are advertised but I don't know how much following they have. I'm not really sold on these units.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 05/10/17 09:00 UTC »
"Lines" turned us on to the RiteHete pots and they seem to be what we have all be looking for. I recently purchased one and have been very pleased with the results. You need to microwave you plastic first to 350, and then use the pot to keep it at temperature (320).

http://custombaits.com/index.php?topic=9596.msg75744#msg75744

Andy
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 05/10/17 10:03 UTC »
I'm going to get one also...in a couple of months. I told the guy I wanted a VR 1 quart model with the upgraded thermoter. He quoted me a price of $457.00. Information for anyone else interested in one. Even for us hobbiest the worst thing about pouring baits is the constant need to reheat the plastic as it cools. And that means adding stabilizer each time you reheat!

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 05/10/17 18:06 UTC »

I've read posts in this forum and some other places on the net about the Lee pots, and the comments were less than favorable. I have mentioned this before, but wouldn't it be nice if you could "test drive" every product before you purchased it. That way a person could make his own decision based on his own experience, and preferences. I rolled the dice on the Rite Hete pot and came out a winner. I cannot say enough about the quality and satisfaction in using it. I have the quart pot VR with the upgraded thermostat as mentioned by Muskygary. I do take the plastisol from the raw liquid up to 350° in the pot. As Andy says, microwaving it to 350° is faster, but I'm in no big hurry anyway. I haven't used my microwave since I learned to used the RiteHete pot. Absolutely love it.

Offline hawgthumper

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 05/11/17 09:15 UTC »
I have one now that I bought by accident, thinking it was a lead pot. I never would have bought it had I known. I owned the a good while back and hated it. You really have to watch the heat with them. I ran one batch with this one and honestly it did okay but still had a tendency to overheat the plastic if I didn't watch it closely. I was running handpour stuff and it was okay for that. Honestly I can't recommend one but if you want one I'll sell you one cheap 😀. Only been used once!

Offline toadfrog

• Yearling
« Reply #6 on: 05/11/17 20:32 UTC »
I hate those lee  plastic pots . Just as soon quit as to use one .

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #7 on: 05/11/17 22:56 UTC »
A guy I know used them in his business for the rigged worms that he sold by the boat load.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN