Author Topic: Painting blade baits  (Read 4564 times)

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
Painting blade baits
« on: 11/04/14 13:12 UTC »
Just wondering when painting blade baits with create.. do you just paint the blade and top coat with something like Dick Nite, or do you use a metal adhesion like Bulldog first?

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: Painting blade baits
« Reply #1 on: 11/04/14 14:02 UTC »
And...are you powder painting them? (I assume so...but...)

I wonder how many Blade bait molds Do-it has sold in the weeks since these posts started! I know I'm asking for one for Xmas!!!

Andy
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 11/04/14 14:16 UTC »
No, I'm painting with createx  water color. It's the paint most airbrush painters use for painting plugs. Powder paint is thicker and might effect the vibration. (I think)

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 11/06/14 10:39 UTC »
I do a couple different things.

First I use a lot of pearl ones on Lake Michigan.  For those it's just pearl powder paint and bake them at 275 for about 20 minutes and let them cool slowly in the oven.  There is no effect on the action by using powder paint. 

For plain brass I buff the blanks before I pour them and then spray them with two coats of clear lacquer. 

For more detailed paint jobs I clean or scuff them a bit with fine emery paper and then hit them with two coats of spray Zinsser Cover-Stain as a primer.  Then air-brush my Createx.  After that it is a very thin coat of Devcon 2 Ton or Flexcoat.  I consider blade baits a consumable so I usually don't get too nuts with the coatings,  If you are fishing blades properly you are loosing a few here and there. 

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 11/06/14 12:52 UTC »
I have a powder paint spraybrush Im going to try, also the createx with a airbrush and see which I like best. Ive done well, with some blades with just chartreuse on the body. Like you say you loose a lot, also jigs!

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 11/06/14 16:15 UTC »
Anyone who fishes blade baits a lot MUST buy a mold.  Lets say they are even $4.00 a piece, that mold pays for itself in a month!

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #6 on: 11/06/14 19:49 UTC »
One fish did it for me the ability to make what you want to meet the fishing conditions you are fishing is a lot of fun and you have something no one has and it's just different enough that the fish almost always react in a positive manner.  8)
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN