Author Topic: Crappie "vibe" baits  (Read 613 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Crappie "vibe" baits
« on: 04/09/24 10:08 UTC »
I’ve really gotten into the different “Vibe” baits for crappies and, of course, this has taken me down another rabbit hole in searching for blank bait bodies. I the picture the top bait is a Scheels “Big Eye” vibe bait along sode of a couple that I just finished last night. Size and shape-wise they’re close to identical. Both are quarter sized and weight slightly less than 1/8 ounce. Again, I favor the darker purple back over a chartreuse belly however the Scheels bait with the orange slashes showed a good productivity last fall so I’ll do another 4 up and finished them in colors like the Sheels bait.

I found another source for blank bait bodies yesterday that had a body that’s uncanny similar to a #3 Rippin Rap, so I have those on the way now too. I really like 4 Vibe baits: the Scheels number shown, the just mentioned Rapala, the Euro Tackle Z-Viber in 1/16 and the Kendar’s Vibes. They’re all spendy and pike seem to have an affliction for them so making my own helps cut the loss costs down. Plus I enjoy the tinkering. I tend to favor the color schemes that Rapala offers but really all of the baits have some great colors that produce so I’ve ordered up enough blanks in each style to do a mess of the productive colors and a guy has to start somewhere….

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Crappie "vibe" baits
« Reply #1 on: 04/09/24 11:50 UTC »
Here are a couple  purple backed, 2” Yozuri Pin Minnows that got the chartreuse treatment this morning.

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline anyfish

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 04/09/24 19:51 UTC »
Those look great.  You have to enjoy the rabbit holes (for me it's part of the fun).  What are you finishing your baits with?  Is it the Do-It seal and finish?  I keep waiting for a larger container to show back up online, but it's only the 1oz that's shows as available.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/09/24 20:44 UTC »
I use the Seal Coat in 4 ounce jars. Dip and drip.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 04/11/24 15:14 UTC »
Nice baits!! 

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 04/16/24 10:33 UTC »
The other vibe blanks arrived on Saturday so I got some paint time on a couple.

This new blank is about as close to identical to the #3 Rapala Ultralight series Rippin Rap as one can get. The ultralight Rippin Rap has become one of my pets. Seen here in the picture with the first  finished vibe blank I rounded up one can see the difference in size. This new bait is very compact, and like its store bought cousin, is full of action. Now I’m ready for suspended fish.

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 04/18/24 05:25 UTC »
These are the blank vibes that I sourced and dressed up. Looks close to the ones you found.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 04/18/24 07:09 UTC »
What's the length on those Fishermanbt?
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 04/18/24 07:54 UTC »
Both styles are 40mm (1.5”) long and weigh in at 4.2g (apx 1/8oz).

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 04/18/24 16:41 UTC »
The two on the left look like they could be the same as the larger of the two I've shown. Where did you source them?

The two on the right are definitely different. For now I have enough stuff to work with. I am planning to getr another batch of the smaller vibe that mirrors the Rapala #3 Ultralight Rippin Rap though.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 04/18/24 16:57 UTC »
I found both styles on AliExpress. Wish I could find some this size in 1/4oz for those deeper suspended fish.

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 22:45 »
Very Nice!!