Author Topic: What Jig head ?  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Bass Boys

• Kicker
Re: What Jig head ?
« Reply #15 on: 08/21/21 05:29 UTC »
  Anyone on here interested in trading a few heads for soft plastics so I could try a few styles.
  I have lots and lots of colors and styles of plastics.

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
« Reply #16 on: 08/21/21 09:00 UTC »
Pm me your address and I’ll make up some for you to try out.

Online anyfish

• Kicker
« Reply #17 on: 08/21/21 09:37 UTC »
I'll send some as well.  Just PM over your address.   

Offline Canga~

• Kicker
« Reply #18 on: 08/21/21 20:02 UTC »
i think im in the minority when it comes to jig heads matching or "looking good" with the bait. the bait itself is the attractor and the head really doesnt matter, its just a weight. i fish unpainted lead jigs 100% of the time, and most of that is just a ball head. the only other style i own is the midwest finesse, and they just stand up a bit better, still unpainted!

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #19 on: 08/22/21 00:23 UTC »
Honestly with a flat front edge on that plastic bait….I don’t think the swimbait head would be my first choice. I’d go more towards other heads that had a flat back edge to but up with it.

Online 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #20 on: 08/22/21 05:46 UTC »
I disagree... The swimbait head looks better, Can be jigged on the bottom and stands the bait upright. You can always cut/bite the plastic a little to fit the head, Or cut the bottom "Ski"off the jighead to make it flat. I do this and it works real well.  ;D

I have caught a ton of fish on a shoelace... Fish are not smart. lol. So why care only about having a nice piece of plastic and just a chunk of raw lead on a hook to present it? When you can have the best presentation? After all, Your confindence matters, And I like having nice baits to show off to the fish, Even if I dont catch a single "Extra" fish.  :D

Offline Bass Boys

• Kicker
« Reply #21 on: 08/22/21 06:03 UTC »
 The response to this thread is awesome.
  I love all the options that guys try .
  Would love to hear more .

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #22 on: 08/22/21 15:39 UTC »
I disagree... The swimbait head looks better, Can be jigged on the bottom and stands the bait upright. You can always cut/bite the plastic a little to fit the head, Or cut the bottom "Ski"off the jighead to make it flat. I do this and it works real well.  ;D

I have caught a ton of fish on a shoelace... Fish are not smart. lol. So why care only about having a nice piece of plastic and just a chunk of raw lead on a hook to present it? When you can have the best presentation? After all, Your confindence matters, And I like having nice baits to show off to the fish, Even if I dont catch a single "Extra" fish.  :D

Don’t get me wrong depending on water clarity and fishing pressure a lot of things either do or don’t matter. I’ve got the swimbait mold and use it. Like it a lot. However, when I pair up my jig heads and plastics I like stuff to match up and present well. With the flat front on this plastic I’d want a jig head that it buts up to tight and straight. Mainly so it swims through crap and doest catch on it, with a very professional look. If a guy isn’t worried or cares…a simple round head jig works.

Online Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #23 on: 08/23/21 01:54 UTC »
I really like this mold and use it quite a bit especially for Alabama rigs. It uses a thick wire hook that won’t bend out and has the flat back which would match up well with your soft plastic swimbait. It has eye sockets so if you want to put eyes on it and dress it up you can. Various sizes depending on what you want. Wire plastic keeper. Look at this one real close. I think the do it guys hit a home run with this one……..

https://store.do-itmolds.com/Shad-Head-Rig-JigbrSz-18-316-14-516-38-716brHk-32886brCollar-Wire-Holder_p_1096.html

Online 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #24 on: 08/23/21 03:45 UTC »
It's even better when modified to take the WDB1000 wire form.  ;)

Offline Bass Boys

• Kicker
« Reply #25 on: 08/23/21 04:27 UTC »
I really like this mold and use it quite a bit especially for Alabama rigs. It uses a thick wire hook that won’t bend out and has the flat back which would match up well with your soft plastic swimbait. It has eye sockets so if you want to put eyes on it and dress it up you can. Various sizes depending on what you want. Wire plastic keeper. Look at this one real close. I think the do it guys hit a home run with this one……..

https://store.do-itmolds.com/Shad-Head-Rig-JigbrSz-18-316-14-516-38-716brHk-32886brCollar-Wire-Holder_p_1096.html

I like the eye socket too .

Offline Canga~

• Kicker
« Reply #26 on: 08/23/21 06:36 UTC »

im more about catching fish than it looking super amazing, to each their own but the main attraction is the plastic. catching fisherman is one thing, but when it comes to personal use im too lazy to worry about that!

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #27 on: 08/23/21 08:13 UTC »
The Teardrop w/keeper wire would be a nice match for this plastic. The Teardrop is the least fussy jig I have fished with ever.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #28 on: 08/23/21 10:15 UTC »
There's various good choices.

The darter head works well with those baits, or the Underspin. If you don't want the added flash, then mold them without the wire.

Online 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #29 on: 08/23/21 16:24 UTC »
im more about catching fish than it looking super amazing, to each their own but the main attraction is the plastic. catching fisherman is one thing, but when it comes to personal use im too lazy to worry about that!

When you make your own baits, Plastic or lead, It's awesome to make things better than you can buy at any store on the planet, Even if they don't catch 1 extra fish... I open my box up and all my stuff is amazing.  :P