Author Topic: Laminate Question  (Read 2012 times)

Offline socobass

• Minnow
Laminate Question
« on: 01/28/14 19:24 UTC »
When pouring the 2nd half of the 3.5 super fry, I've had the backs get pushed up in the mold on a couple baits, where the final shot goes up and around the first. Is there something I can do to prevent this? 90% come out just fine

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: Laminate Question
« Reply #1 on: 01/28/14 19:30 UTC »
Inject slowly...no...even slower!

(and make sure the baits are firmly seated in the mold before you close it)
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline jl3140

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/28/14 19:32 UTC »
Inject slowly...no...even slower!

(and make sure the baits are firmly seated in the mold before you close it)

I use to have the same problem on frog bellies, but since I've injected slower I haven't had a problem.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/28/14 20:30 UTC »
Its hard but try to remove all of the trim from the top side without taking the section out of the mold cavities. This freshly shot plastic is loaded with surface tension the makes the stuff almost sticky. If the pieces are removed, the surface tension is gone when they get replaced. Put each piece that gets taken out of a cavity in the exact same cavity and pay particular attention that it goes in with the sprue end forward. I know, it sounds putzy, but the more practiced you get at developing a work pattern the less likely you'll find those over shots. The slow injection is a very key part in this. Takes practice.

Like many other aspects of learning the ins and outs of this stuff, I suggest you use some junk plastic and practice this process so good plastic doesn't add to the junk pile.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline socobass

• Minnow
« Reply #4 on: 01/28/14 20:48 UTC »
Thanks for the quick service guys!! I'm sure it's the speed, I know I'm not cranking it in there, but I it's probably still too fast. I will update after next slow shooting. Thanks again!!!