Author Topic: Clown, the color....  (Read 965 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Clown, the color....
« on: 10/05/23 03:58 UTC »
Our local lake's crappies have been on a tear recently on small crankbaits fished on a dropshot/3 way rig and THE color has been clown. So. It took me about 20 minutes to find out that there isn't a single clown colors #4 Shad Rap in town so I dug out the unpainted crank blanks and had at it. Seen here on the left are 3 of the Panfish crankbait blanks available here at Do-It along with 4 from an Asian source, all clowned up and ready to tickle some crappies into hitting.

« Last Edit: 10/05/23 04:01 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
Re: Clown, the color....
« Reply #1 on: 10/05/23 07:41 UTC »
 Clown is an old school color but I still use it. Most guys have switched to fire tiger for stained water but I find clown gives them a different look and sometimes that's all you need.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 10/05/23 08:12 UTC »
I was amazed that Rapala didn't have it in much of their lure line colors. Maybe it's because it's so late in the season that finding the color was tough.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline anyfish

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 10/05/23 08:48 UTC »
Nice!  How do you like those little Do It Cranks?  I have looked at the a few times but haven't tried any yet.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 10/05/23 09:42 UTC »
They're nice in the water but they don't dive past 3 feet. I've been putting them behind a three way or a drop shot weight ahead of the lure about three feet and slow trolling them. Cast along steep, visible, rock drop-offs into deep water they really get smallies excited. They're really a good one for fishing non-emergent weeds that are maybe three to four feet under the surface when the largemouths decide to wallow..
« Last Edit: 10/05/23 09:44 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline anyfish

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 10/05/23 10:56 UTC »
They're really a good one for fishing non-emergent weeds that are maybe three to four feet under the surface when the largemouths decide to wallow..

This is what I hoped.  I'll have to get a few with my next order.

Online bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #6 on: 10/05/23 11:31 UTC »
Very cool Tom! They look great!

I never used Clown a lot, but do have a couple of Husky Jerks in that pattern that has been a good one for me for bass & Striped Bass.

I have some small Creme brand crankbaits around here too, that I should try to locate. I don't recall any of them being the Clown pattern, but they have been good panfish lures for me in the past.  :D

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 10/05/23 14:59 UTC »
Those little candy corns look great. I never thought about this color for the crappie box

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 10/05/23 16:05 UTC »
Those little candy corns look great. I never thought about this color for the crappie box

I guess I never really gave the color much notice as a crappie color, but they're smoking the nice ones on a local lake. I'll be on that lake in the morning, but we have a serious cold front headed this way with a collision course set for late tonight and at this time of the year up here that's not good timing. We'll see.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 10/05/23 19:14 UTC »
I too have been hammering the crappie, but on my jigging blades. I’ve been watching forecasts of that front pushing in. Our high in the low lands for the weekend is mid 50’s with 10-15mph winds. Possible snow flurries in the mountains.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 10/06/23 11:43 UTC »
What a morning. Unreal.

As I mentioned yesterday, we were due for another major cold front this morning and it showed up big time. Heavy duty NW wind and much cooler. 40 degrees when we left the house. The rain held off until about 10:15 and until then the fishing was insane. No trolling took place.... no need to. We hit a fall dock that has always done us well and it didn't fail today. The crappies were deep and we simply vertical jigged 1/16 heads and 2.25" small fries, clear/party crasher glitter with chartreuse tails. We went from there across a wide bay to try and get out of the wind and found a couple pontoons still on the water and behind them was a steep hillside that runs right into the water and continues the steep descent where 10 feet from shore its 20 feet deep. Really radical shoreline. The wind was better in this spot and so was the fishing. Numerous doubles were had and the crappies ran into the 13" range. It was crazy good fishing. We ran a drift thru an area maybe 75 feet long and in that distance, we'd catch maybe 20 fish per pass. Crappies, sunfish, white bass, channel catfish and sheephead, including one huge brute, all fell to jigs and plastics on a day that by all accounts should have been a total dud.

But when the rain hit, everything slammed shut and the bite went from super to zip in 15 minutes. We'll have fresh fish tonight or tomorrow night.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Les Young

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 10/07/23 18:55 UTC »
Those look good Tom.