Author Topic: Laker bait...  (Read 612 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Laker bait...
« on: 05/21/22 18:44 UTC »
Here's a #8627 lipless bait offered here at Do-It done with a crinkle finished gold foil and sprayed with Do-It's Bait Blast Fire Red across the back. 2.5 size of Do-It's Attack Series eyes in Warmouth round things out then the entire bait got a double dip of regular CS Lure Coat.

Lake Trout and Coho Salmon seem to have an affinity for gold and orange baits so I had to cook these up in lieu of an up-coming trip north with Lake Superior only 10 miles away. I thinned the paint a bit to get transparency even after several coats. I did three of these, all alike. The crinkle gold foil offers a finish with a bazillion tiny facets to reflect light and I'm sure the trout will appreciate that.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
Re: Laker bait...
« Reply #1 on: 05/22/22 14:46 UTC »
Hope they help you fill the smoker!

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 05/22/22 17:35 UTC »
Looks like a good flathead catfish lure also.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 05/22/22 17:49 UTC »
This foil product was very hard to work with, even on a smooth bait. It was supposed to have a "crinkle" appearance, but instead it showed every little line created by the adhesive. The new Bait Blast paint though adheres to the foil wonderfully. The gold/orange theme is a solid Lake Trout color for Lake Superior as well as a very good Salmon color. The foil is very shiny so I am certain that these baits will work on the big water. Anxious to try them.

No as for Catfish, I have little experience fishing them so I couldn't tell you what trips their trigger. I have taken Channel Catfish on jigs and plastics while fishing Crappies and Walleyes. Many years ago fishing below the Red Wing dam on the Mississippi River in March I snagged a Flathead with a jig that weighed an estimated 40 pounds. That was exciting.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 05/22/22 22:24 UTC »
Growing up in St. Joseph, MO, we fished the Missouri river daily. We used live goldfish for flatheads.
That bait resembles a goldfish really well.