Author Topic: New Mold Question  (Read 10396 times)

Offline ghostbaits

• Lunker
    • Home of Ghost Baits: Hand poured and Hand injected soft plastics
Re: New Mold Question
« Reply #15 on: 04/29/11 09:00 UTC »
Thanks bud but I have a mold on the way so save your postage and put it into having a good camera with you on Falcon and Amistad!!!!!! I want to see the pics!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for the offer though on the baits! I was just joking around!!!!

BTW... I'll be flying in to fish Amistad with you anyway so you can just hand me a pack.

Jim

Offline firetiger

• Kicker
« Reply #16 on: 04/29/11 13:33 UTC »
It's hard to resist that mold.  Let me know what time your flight arrives and I'll pick you up!!!!!

Almost time to get off work and head out.

Offline GoneFroggin

• Keeper
« Reply #17 on: 04/29/11 20:15 UTC »
Great work firetiger! Those are nice!

What size hook would you recommend for them?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #18 on: 04/29/11 20:40 UTC »
I've been fishing it with a TroKar 5.0 EWG and haven't missed a fish (these are the ones we sell).  With that said, it could easily handle a larger hook.

Jason

Offline firetiger

• Kicker
« Reply #19 on: 05/01/11 22:29 UTC »
I'm back from my trip to Amistad.  I fished the 7" Wutz-It and caught about 6 fish on Saturday.  I must have missed about 4 more.  They would take it on the way down and by the time you figured out a fish was on, they would spit it out.  It was a weird bite this weekend for several, people.  The fish weren't slamming anything, your line would be heavy and you had to set the hook.

http://www.caneycreekmolds.net/index.php?topic=351.0

Hey GoneFroggin, I use a 7/0 Owner hook for the 7 inchers.  I'm looking for some big ones, so I like that big hook.  I wouldn't go below a 5/0 though, that's a lot of plastic!

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #20 on: 05/02/11 09:04 UTC »
Nice looking, healthy fish!

The 7.0 hook looks perfect on the bait.  Did you try fishing it weightless or with a swimbait hook (weighted hook)?  The reason I ask is it has a really good wobble with no weight, or the weight in the middle.  It also slows down the fall as the resistance is spread across the entire body vs. the head. 

In less than 6' of water I fish it weightless, I add weight the deeper I go.  20' I will use a 3/8" SB hook.  Just something to try next time if you haven't already.

Tight lines!

Jason

Offline firetiger

• Kicker
« Reply #21 on: 05/02/11 11:04 UTC »
Hey Jason,

I didn't get a chance to fish it weightless yet.  I was fishing in 15 - 20' most of the time, so I had it TX rigged.  Once that grass starts to grow is usually when I fish it weightless.  The weight of that 7/0 hook on flourocarbon line and a swivel up front is usually all the weight that is needed.  It's going to be killer around the grass and up shallow when the bluegill start to spawn.

Offline ghostbaits

• Lunker
    • Home of Ghost Baits: Hand poured and Hand injected soft plastics
« Reply #22 on: 05/02/11 11:18 UTC »
a swivel up front

What do you use the swivel for? Line twist? I am wondering as I hate to put something in line as it seems to create a weak point when hunting BIG MOMMA....

We mostly have skinny water here (8' or less).

Just curious......

Jim

Offline firetiger

• Kicker
« Reply #23 on: 05/02/11 14:15 UTC »
Hey Jim,

The swivel is for line twist, the added weight just helps to get it down quicker.  I usually cut about 2' of flourocarbon and tie it to the swivel and the hook.  That usually leaves me with about 1 1/2' of leader.  I haven't had any problems with it breaking so far and I've been able to land a couple of good fish on that set-up.

If I was fishing the skinny stuff, I probably wouldn't bother with the swivel unless it was really twisting my line.