Author Topic: Powder Painting And Weed Guards  (Read 12735 times)

Offline Dave

• Kicker
Re: Powder Painting And Weed Guards
« Reply #15 on: 04/09/13 22:54 UTC »
So let me ask....Baking the jig heads prevents the guard from flaring out when heated? I got tired of them flaring so I modified my Do It Molds and use Y guards which I like a ton better anyways. I made my own fluid bed and it works like a champ, but I just couldn't get the guards from going crazy on me.

Offline gone2long

• Kicker
« Reply #16 on: 04/10/13 05:09 UTC »
not sure if I'm understanding you correctly but my method is to do everything  first I.e. powder paint and cure then super glue gel the weed guards in last so they are not exposed to heat at all,  the guards flare due to heat.

Offline TTDuckman

• Kicker
« Reply #17 on: 04/10/13 05:46 UTC »
This is what I have done for about 3 years and have done thousands without incident.
Mold head with aluminum base hole pin, remove pin, twist off sprue, use a knife to make sure sprue mark is smooth.
I use 1/8" wooden dowel rods ($.30) and cut them with side cutters (I get about 32 per dowel rod).
I put the dowel piece in the head, heat and dip head, if I have paint in the eye (usually because there is slightly too much paint) I run paper clip through the eye and hang.
10 minutes later I bake the heads hanging by the hook in my toaster oven for 20 minutes at 350.
They are now done, the guard hole is clean, eye is clean and no drips.
If you get drips hanging them by the hook, you have too much paint on the head.
I have tried using teflon pins and don't care for them.  Yes, they mold great, but I had too many of them slide out when in my work pile prior to painting and they don't go back into a poured head well.

Tim

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #18 on: 04/10/13 06:26 UTC »
That's all good information, Tim.  I used to use the dowel pins, but for some odd reason I got away from it.  I'm going to give them another try.  I especially like the paper clip idea.  Having to clean out eyes is a pain.  Thanks.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #19 on: 04/10/13 11:04 UTC »
TTDuckman  --  What heat source are you using to heat your heads for powder painting?   

Offline CrabbyBass

• Lunker
    • Crabby Bass Lures
« Reply #20 on: 04/10/13 19:48 UTC »
Funny! I hadn't been on here all day today. I went to Menards are was looking for something to use before ordering the Teflon pins. I picked up an 1/8" poplar wood dowel rod. I guess great minds think alike.  ;D I cut the dowel down and put the pins in the jig heads already. As soon as the kids are in bed, I will be doing some painting.

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #21 on: 04/10/13 20:09 UTC »
" As soon as the kids are in bed, I will be doing some painting."

Chuck...why would you want to paint your kids?
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline CrabbyBass

• Lunker
    • Crabby Bass Lures
« Reply #22 on: 04/10/13 23:54 UTC »
" As soon as the kids are in bed, I will be doing some painting."

Chuck...why would you want to paint your kids?

Have to get back at them for all the crap they put me through everyday ;D ;D ;D

Offline tacklemake

• Minnow
  • Woody Tillery
« Reply #23 on: 08/14/13 22:29 UTC »
Howdy all! I have been powder painting since it came out and found by using a heat gun to heat the jig and not the oven to heat it I can get more  in a cold oven to bake. I have also found by using a fluid bed you control on how much paint you are putting on the jig and you are getting a better finish. When using the heat gun you just have to count how many seconds be for you dip and then I blow till cool then drill it out and hang it. If you heat it to hot you will get more paint on it then what you want and you will end up with drips after baking. I have found its a hole lot easier to clean the eye of the hook before baking then after. If by chance the eye of the hook is closed after baking DON'T DRILL IT OUT because it will put a sharp edge on the eye that will cut you line. Just take a paper clip or any wire that will fit though the eye of the hook and heat it till its red hot and it will clear the eye real easy. I have found if you want to powder spinner baits without painting the hook you just heat the body and not the hook. By putting the body over the heat and the hook not, when you dip hook first in the powder the end of the hook isn't hot so the paint won't stick. Just take a brush and clean the powder off the hook then bake............Woody
We must teach everyone how to fish because if we don't who will?

Offline CrabbyBass

• Lunker
    • Crabby Bass Lures
« Reply #24 on: 08/14/13 23:30 UTC »
Hey Woody! Welcome! That is all great information right there. Thank you! What do you like to use as your fluid bed filter? I was using brown paper bags cut down into squares. I am just curious what you use. Thanks again!

Chuck

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #25 on: 08/14/13 23:49 UTC »
Hey Woody...That's a great first post.  I look forward to many more just like it.  Welcome.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline tacklemake

• Minnow
  • Woody Tillery
« Reply #26 on: 08/15/13 16:58 UTC »
Thank ya for letting me join your group. I'm sorry I don't make fluid beds ,I bought them because I had a small business for 21 years making tackle. Now I'm retired but still making for me. I have a small workshop and I fish almost every day.............woody
We must teach everyone how to fish because if we don't who will?

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #27 on: 08/15/13 18:22 UTC »
That's gotta earn some type of a "Quality 1st Post" award... I'll see what I can do about that.  We're very happy to have you on board here Woody.  Have a seat and don't be shy.

Jerry
"What started as a hobby is now a way of life."  Justin9j

"It's a shame I have to work, cause I really don't have time for it." Shane

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc