Author Topic: Blade bait video  (Read 16116 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Blade bait video
« Reply #15 on: 02/18/14 08:38 UTC »
Those are great Marc. Adding that wire is a piece of genius too.

If you don't mind....what gauge is the brass sheet?
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #16 on: 02/18/14 09:20 UTC »

:o :o :o... Those are BEASTLY!!!

Also note the Do-It blades on the bottom Right of the bigger blades.  The one on top is a standard size M blade 1/2 ounce.  The one below is the bigger mold they once produced.  Its probably an ounce or so, 3 1/2 inches.  Great bait for larger game fish.  I'm all-in if they resurrect that mold.

I think I'd be interested as well. 8)

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #17 on: 02/18/14 12:01 UTC »
Beastly... I like that. 

I'll mic the brass tonight.  I cant remember off hand.  I know I copied the gauge of the fuzzy. 

So... Final Jeopardy question O' the day....  who can identify the body on these beastly blades???

I gave one of these giant blades to a guy who was going to some remote Lake Trout water in the far reaches of Canada... The big Lakers pounded it !!! 

Marc

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 02/18/14 12:23 UTC »
Lake Trout.....I have a coho, a looper and a lake trout in the smoker right now. Just checked it and it'll be coming out in about an hour. Gonna be some tender vittles tonight watching the boob.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #19 on: 02/18/14 15:19 UTC »
OK, I got some sheet metal from a hobby shop and am enlarging some photos of the do-it blade to use to make a outline. I have the  stuff to make a mode and will use clay to minic the lead body. Going to try to make my own blade baits!

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #20 on: 02/18/14 17:25 UTC »
My brother found some large blade baits while working in Chile ( Could have been Peru  ) that were used as trolling lures.  They were big as well.  One weighted 6 oz.  They trolled them along weed lines and drop offs.   A number of the small panga commercial fishermen used them.

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #21 on: 02/18/14 22:59 UTC »
The brass I used is .032.

Marc

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #22 on: 02/19/14 09:12 UTC »
PJMCLA, that may have been this "Braid Runner" from Braid Lures (primarily off-shore lures).  They look awesome but are all very heavy.  They make them for a different world that what I live in.  They want them to stay down while trolling 20 knots!!!  I looked at them in the Bass Pro in Orlando once.  I geeked out till I saw what they weighed. 

The big ones I make for Musky are all under 2 ounces. 

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #23 on: 02/19/14 15:17 UTC »
Great video!!!  I've got the old blade bait mold (Silver Buddy style) and I love it!!!!!!!!!  I've scoped out buying the blanks from a bunch of different companies but it's still expensive!!  Don't have the expertise to even attempt to make my own. 

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #24 on: 02/21/14 10:50 UTC »
So, you have the one that made the large blades?  If so, what is the model # on the mold if you wouldn't mind looking.
Thanks,
Marc

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #25 on: 02/22/14 20:34 UTC »
marc

The mold is the ZR-4-24  It makes 2 - 1/4oz and 2 - 1/2 oz.  The 1/4th takes the ZB-S Blade and the 1/2 takes the ZB-M Blade.

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #26 on: 02/24/14 07:59 UTC »
OK Thanks.  That's the one most of us have.  I was hoping to find someone that owned the mold that made the large blades that were available years ago.  The one I am speaking of is the chrome one in the photo on the right directly below the standard "M" size in a firetiger pattern.  That one has been the Holy Grail for me.  I've looked for years with no luck.

Thanks,

Marc

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #27 on: 10/18/14 23:38 UTC »
Where can you buy bigger blade blanks than the M size made for the do it molds?

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #28 on: 10/20/14 13:17 UTC »
No where that I know of.... I have to hand cut them.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #29 on: 10/20/14 13:51 UTC »
Do-it should run a question in the new molds forum to see how many of us would be interested in that mold and also some giant blanks. Lots of people fishing for salmon, lakers, and even muskies with blade baits. I would buy a mold if available.