Author Topic: Football Jig w/Screw-Loc problem  (Read 3745 times)

Offline Ttop

• Minnow
Football Jig w/Screw-Loc problem
« on: 02/24/18 11:47 UTC »
Hey everyone, I have the Football Jig w/Screw-Loc mold. For some reason I get incomplete pours on the 1/4 oz size. Every other size pours great but the 1/4 oz size is incomplete half the time. This even happens with no hook or spring loc in it so I don't think the hook is the issue. Has anyone heard of this or does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
Re: Football Jig w/Screw-Loc problem
« Reply #1 on: 02/24/18 11:57 UTC »
  What kind of lead are you using ? The smaller the pour the softer the lead needs to be. You should be able to scratch the lead with your thumb nail.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/24/18 12:46 UTC »
If its just that one cavity with nothing in it maybe you need to make a vent to help air get out or look at the gate where you pour the lead. If its mis-formed or too small you may not have enough room there to pour consistently. The soft lead thought is one of the biggest issues when pouring smaller cavities. Do cavities smaller than the 1/4 fill ok?
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Ttop

• Minnow
« Reply #3 on: 02/24/18 13:07 UTC »
I don't think its a lead issue because the 1/16 and 1/8 pour fine. The mold has 1/16 - 5/8. Everything looks like it is lined up. It's the craziest thing. Where could I put extra ventilation at?

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/24/18 13:23 UTC »
Try finding a small nail slightly larger than the hook's wire. Cut the head off the nail and lay the nail in the hook shank slot where the bend of the hook comes away from the head [bottom of that cavity], then close the mold holding the handles tight and lay the mold on a flat, hard surface and give the mold a tap with a hammer right over that cavity. You will feel the mold give a little. This should create enough extra vent to allow all the air our when pouring. You may get a tiny bit of flash along the hook shank but that will clean right off with a knife.

Lay your nail in the shank groove before doing this to see how close the nail is to the mold's cut for the hook. You want a nail that is very close to seated in that cut and when you tap the mold with the hammer you don't want to rap it, just give it a half-firm tap. while holding the handles together tightly so you can feel the mold shift or settle on the nail.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Ttop

• Minnow
« Reply #5 on: 02/24/18 14:18 UTC »
I will try that with a nail. Thanks for your help. I will let you know how it goes.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/24/18 15:13 UTC »
Are you ladle filling or using a bottom pour furnace? On smaller heads often times the bottom pour can iron things out but it sounds like a cavity specific issue. See if the nail trick helps at all.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 02/24/18 21:06 UTC »
Hit it with a little spray of drop out.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 02/24/18 21:37 UTC »
Not to steal a thread, but how's Justin been?
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Ttop

• Minnow
« Reply #9 on: 02/25/18 15:38 UTC »
I put a small nail that was just a pinch bigger than the hook slot. It did widen it by a hair but still having problems. I can get a few complete pours but it is 50 50 at best. It may be in my head but it seems if I tilt the mold away from me at a slight angle it does better.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 02/25/18 15:49 UTC »
When I have flow issues I turn my temperature up a little bit.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 02/25/18 16:13 UTC »
I put a small nail that was just a pinch bigger than the hook slot. It did widen it by a hair but still having problems. I can get a few complete pours but it is 50 50 at best. It may be in my head but it seems if I tilt the mold away from me at a slight angle it does better.

That's what I have done when I get stubborn cavities that don't respond to extra venting. I don't have any of the football molds so I can't see exactly what the gates look like but it is odd that only one is tossing you a fit.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 02/25/18 17:31 UTC »
Tom busy but good.  We moved so I been packing and unpacking last three months. 

It’s a venting problem.  Take a file and cut a little vent to the head.

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 02/26/18 04:54 UTC »

I have molds that I have to tilt a little to the right or left, it is usually due to the air not escaping. There are a few things you can do, the first is using a product called drop out, it is a mold release and your lead will flow better and all you need to do is spray your mold with it. The next thing you can do is increase the lead temperature, I don't know what kind of melting pot you have but if it is a LEE pot try turning it up a number or 2. Another thing you can do is if you are using a bottom pour pot you can hold the mold up so the pouring spout is right against the gate as if you were injecting the lead. By doing that you have less temperature loss so if the air is escaping too slowly the lead will stay molten a little longer allowing the cavity to fill completely. The last thing you can do is to take some masking tape and cut 4 small squares, stick one square on top of the other and then stick it to mold near the handle, and then do the same thing with the other two squares and stick them to the mold near the handle directly opposite the first two. By doing that it will leave a small gap in your mold when it is closed, it won't be enough to cause flashing but it will allow trapped air to escape a little faster, we call this cracking a mold. Good luck and let us know if you got your issue solved.

Offline Ttop

• Minnow
« Reply #14 on: 02/26/18 12:42 UTC »
I haven't tried drop out or the tape yet but here is a picture. As I said, it's the craziest thing. I'm using a lee pot and ladle. As the picture shows, the 1/8 pours just fine as does the 1/16 even though it isn't in the picture.