Author Topic: Gliders  (Read 2388 times)

Offline SteveJ

• Keeper
Gliders
« on: 06/10/18 07:28 UTC »
I am in the White Mountain area of Arizona where stocked trout is the prey.
Think I should add gliders to the grubs I have been using both trolling and jigging.

How do you rig the glider tail horizonal or vertical?

First guess is vertical for trolling and horizonal for jigging.

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Gliders
« Reply #1 on: 06/10/18 08:48 UTC »
The Glider is a great family of baits. Take a peek at the Flap Jack too.

Rigging the gliders can be either way. You'll get a little more lateral movement by rigging with the tail horizontal and this will also slow the drop rate some. If trolling them got to be challenging with a horizontal rigging the vertical rig should aid in keeping the rig at the depth you want without a whole lot of riding up.

There are some differences between the Gliders and the Flap Jack. Using the 2" baits, the Flap Jack has a grub style body and the tail portion is slightly longer and narrower than the same size bait in the Glider. Personally I like the Flap Jack in moving water better than the Glider as its body and tail design has less water resistance and just fishes better for me. Still water....Glider all the way.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 06/10/18 09:25 UTC »
WAY back when I was working with Jason on this bait I wanted a smallmouth/walleye jig similar to the Mann's Stingray grub that would dart when fished on a darter head jig and would give more glide when fished on a 1/2 moon jig. I fish the upper Mississippi River and both fish like to sit in current edges and ambush prey.

So, I like to rig it tail up (like a minnow) for darting and tail flat for a glide/slower fall. Just depends on the day which they like best!

I have just about every mold Do-it sells and the Glider is still one of my  "go to baits". Try hand pouring the belly in orange and injecting the rest of the bait in brown or green (depending on the color of your crawfish). For minnow baits, I like it in clear with rainbow glitter, watermelon green with red and black flake and plain ole silver. For minnows, try pouring a thin top in black and then inject the rest of the bait.

It's a great mold to improve your hand pouring skills!

I also like to use a laminate plate (or a homemade one out of thin gage aluminum) and make !/2 gliders in black. The really make a good leech bait!

Here is a link to how CTom and I make ours:  http://custombaits.com/index.php?topic=4940.msg36073#msg36073

And here is a post of some baits I made using a laminate plate and "T-shirt paint" from Walmart to make the eyes:

« Last Edit: 06/10/18 10:16 UTC by andrewlamberson »
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 06/10/18 19:05 UTC »
Andrew just curious how well that T-shirt paint holds up on soft plastic? I've been  making lots of baits up that needs eyes and don't want to clear coat over them so looking for something that I could possibly paint  eyes on.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 06/10/18 20:41 UTC »
Looking mighty fine Andrew. The eyes are simple, but impressive. Thanks for passing that idea along!

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #5 on: 06/10/18 20:44 UTC »
The glider is a awesome bait. I rig it on a jig horizontal and have also used them on a VMC spin shot with great success. Another awesome bait is the MO MAGIC in the 2.5” and 3”.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 06/10/18 21:08 UTC »
Mike's right, those Mo's can be a real good bait and the tails would work super if slow trolled.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline SteveJ

• Keeper
« Reply #7 on: 08/13/18 12:35 UTC »
Turns out in the White Mountain, Az. lakes there has been a massive frog hatch and the gliders in all sizes replicate this hatch.