Author Topic: Help me chose my mold and hook  (Read 150 times)

Offline Arsh4d

• Minnow
Help me chose my mold and hook
« on: 06/13/19 01:24 UTC »
 Hello guys, ive just discovered this forum from do it molds and this is what i needed..so basically i fish saltwater and ive 
Suffered from hook getting straight by fish..i know theres lots of good strong hooks from mustad but ive found the the owner x3 strong is potentially stronger..i basically i fish with 1/8, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 oz jigheads. Ive found the the hook size is different by brands..for example the TT zman jighead 3/0 mustad is same size as the berkley owner 1/0..but anyway i just need help from someone who knows about the strongest jighead hooks and a guide to the mold and weights i mentioned.

Online 21xdc

• Kicker
Re: Help me chose my mold and hook
« Reply #1 on: 06/13/19 03:36 UTC »
Owner is probably the best hook for your needs, If they make the style and size you want... Then, Buy the hooks, and mold you like and modify the mold to fit your hooks.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 06/13/19 05:55 UTC »
Hello Arsh4d, and welcome to our forum.

I would suggest the Do-it round head jig mold with Eagle Claw 635 hooks (https://store.do-itmolds.com/Round-Head-Jig-HHbrSz-18-14-38-12-58brHk-630-or-635brCollar-Barb_p_487.html).  I use these hooks for muskie fishing and never had one close to opening/straightening... super tough hooks for those sizes of jigs.

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 06/13/19 06:17 UTC »
You need to let us know what style of jig you need. For example you may want a bullet jig, round head, arky, etc. and without that info it is going to be hard to get you a mold. As for hooks, again, it depends on the mold as you have because there are 30 degree hooks, 45 degree hooks, 60 degree and 90 degree. There are also regular eye and flat eye and so now you see why it isn't as easy to just match up a hook to a weight without any other info. What style jig do you use now? What size and type hook does it have? I apologize for not being able to help right away but there are so many variables it is crazy and not every jig is going to be what you need.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 06/13/19 06:41 UTC »
Welcome aboard Arsh4d. The jig wizards have already given great ideas so I'll just leave with a welcome. Lots of great help here.

Offline Arsh4d

• Minnow
« Reply #5 on: 06/13/19 12:29 UTC »
Thx so much..you guy are cool..i like this community
So i like the style H grub jig,  bullet jig or even bullet nose, swimbait head jig, flat grub jig any mold that is not round and has 60 and 90 degree hook and styles like i just mentioned and it has to barbed..will any owner hooks go well with these?

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 06/14/19 07:10 UTC »
Well the style H jig is versatile as you can use 90 or 60 degree heavy wire hooks. For the 60 degree you can use the Owner 5317 is sizes 3/0 and up, then there is the 5304 that should work as well. For the 90 degree you can use either the 5313 up to a 3/0, or a 5316 to a 2/0 and you may be able to use the 5319 but you may have to modify the mold slightly. I like Owner myself but they don't have a lot of jig hooks that fit your criteria because they limit the sizes so each hook has a small size range. The 5318 has a nice size range but that is a light wire hook, and I don't want you to take this the wrong way but you are still being very vague on what you need. The style of jig helps a lot and you like 1/8oz, then 3/8oz, 1/2oz and 5/8oz but you give any idea as to what size hooks and is there an issue with 1/4oz that makes it a no go? I also apologize as I don't saltwater fish but the only Mustad I'm aware that Zman uses is the 32833 in their NedlockZ head and that is a heavy wire hook that is on par with more other heavy wire 90 degree hooks. I never heard of a Berkley jig that uses an Owner hook but I can't think of any Owner hooks in a 1/0 that are the same size as the Mustad hook that Zman uses but again, I don't fish for saltwater fish and I know there are hooks made for that but most I see are Duratin models and not black nickel. Without any other info I'm about as far as I can go with any type of specifics, my suggestion would be to just get the mold you want along with the hook you want to use in the size you want and just modify it to fit.