Author Topic: Walleye plastic choices  (Read 382 times)

Offline Raynestorm

• Minnow
Walleye plastic choices
« on: 04/01/20 18:01 UTC »
Last year I got the ripper and ring it, then life got in the way... I finally got to pour them yesterday and like what I saw.

Now I’m looking to add some more molds for walleye fishing. I am strongly thinking the CC glider, as I live on the Wisconsin River and play with the bronzebacks during the summer a bit, as well. How is this bait with Walleye?

My next bait I’m looking at, is the Fat Fork. I’m torn between which size to get. Ideally I’d like to be 3-3.5” on this type of bait. I’m seeing the 2.75” has proven itself effective on walleye. Side by side, how has the 4” done against the 2.75”? The 4” looks a bit bigger than I prefer, but it’s hard to judge size on a computer screen.

I haven’t found a 3”-4” curly tail grub mold I like yet. My favorite grub was the Lindy Thump it Munchie grub. I have been looking all over for a mold similar to that, with no luck.

Outside of that, any other molds that are excellent on walleye?

Thanks,

Ben

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Walleye plastic choices
« Reply #1 on: 04/01/20 20:58 UTC »
Get them both. I have several f the 2 3/4" Fat Fork molds and make a ton of them for walleyes and have done very, very well with them. However, as fall water starts to let cold soak down thru the water column and it finally starts to tease the 38-36 degree area the larger of the two will really put some pigs in the sack.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 04/01/20 22:19 UTC »
It's not on your list but the 3.5" swimshad is hands down the best walleye bait I've ever used. I would definitely put that mold on the short list for your next mold. And a bonus is smallies love them too.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/01/20 23:16 UTC »
I’m with Tom and mike j on mold selection and it’s worth the money to by the pro mold 3.5” swim shad. I like the original tail my self.

Offline Raynestorm

• Minnow
« Reply #4 on: 04/01/20 23:18 UTC »
Ok, Swim Shad is on the list now.

Tom, did you mean both CC Glider and fat fork, or fat fork in both sizes?

Thanks

Offline Raynestorm

• Minnow
« Reply #5 on: 04/01/20 23:29 UTC »
What is different between the pro mold and standard mold for the swim Shad? I don’t really need to pump baits out that fast to jump to 12 a time. Unless the mold itself is higher quality, I don’t see any other difference on the website other than cavities.

Thanks

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 04/02/20 00:00 UTC »
There is no difference other making 12 instead of 3. 12 cavity give more per shot and more consistent color per batch. Even if you are pouring for yourself its better to have 12 cavities of what ever molds you are pouring. That’s just what I think and do so I’m not reheating as much and have consistent colors with the most bait’s at one shot.
« Last Edit: 04/02/20 00:47 UTC by WALLEYE WACKER »

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 04/02/20 06:02 UTC »
While the 3" Glider is a sweet walleye bait, my comment was towards both of the Fat Fork sizes.

Offline Raynestorm

• Minnow
« Reply #8 on: 04/03/20 13:44 UTC »
I ordered a 5 pack of sample baits from Do-it, so I’ll get to hold each one of the baits we’ve talked about. I’m thinking I’ll most likely end up with all these molds, but want to prioritize purchase order, as I need to spread out my spending a bit, with covid19 slowing work down.

Thanks!

Ben