Author Topic: Making Homemade Worm Oil  (Read 854 times)

Offline Johnny Bass

• Keeper
  • Bassin' & Chillin'
Making Homemade Worm Oil
« on: 04/18/20 16:11 UTC »
What's up guys,
What kind of low budget oil works great for worm oil?
Johnny Bass
Gone Fishin'

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Making Homemade Worm Oil
« Reply #1 on: 04/18/20 16:33 UTC »
Pretty much just worm oil is all I use. Not that expensive and I know its not going to gel or interact with the plastic.

Offline Johnny Bass

• Keeper
  • Bassin' & Chillin'
« Reply #2 on: 04/18/20 17:40 UTC »
What oil could I buy to make some besides "worm oil"
Anise Oil I wonder could work and may be cheaper?
Johnny Bass
Gone Fishin'

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/18/20 18:19 UTC »
Worm oil is cheap and you only need a drop or two. Anise work well on panfish bait’s.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 04/18/20 18:28 UTC »
You still have to start with an oil that's compatible with the plastic. I use regular worm oil to make scented oil  using anise essential oil. I've got a bottle of anise essential oil that I have had for ten years and I still have 1/2 of the 1 ounce bottle.  I mix about 1/4 ounce with a cup of worm oil and pour some into a bottle that has an eye dropper. 1 drop goes into a bag of baits when I have it ready to send. Depending on the size of the zip lock the baits are in, between 2 and 4 drops of regular unscented worm oil goes in the baits too. ONE drop of the anise scented oil. Kind of get where I'm headed here?

An 8 ounce bottle of worm oil and a one ounce bottle of essential anise oil will last a looooooooong time. Stop and think about the economics here.....worm oil is about the least expensive component of the soft bait making game when one considers just how far the stuff goes and if you're making scented oil  you'll be an old old man before you use up that one ounce bottle of anise essential.

Using mineral oil or some other oil might end up gelling in the baits or may contain a scent that is entirely offensive to fish. Worm oil I scent free and does not have any ill glitches because of additives.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 04/18/20 21:26 UTC »
Just curious but what do you guys do with all this worm oil? I see guys asking for alternatives all the time. Usually bass guys. The only thing I ever use it for is putting small ice baits in bags. It literally takes just a few drops. Do bass like baits covered in oil or something? I don't fish for bass on purpose so just trying to understand.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 04/18/20 22:51 UTC »
I use worm oil in two ways. One is as Mike J has offered and the other is to lube real small appendages in a couple of stone molds.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 04/19/20 07:03 UTC »
  When I make tubes I brush a little on the the splines so they come out of the mold easy. It works well when making ribbon tail worms too. Sometimes the plastic doesn't want to fill the whole tail and a little worm oil will help it slide all the way to the back.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 04/19/20 08:22 UTC »
Like Larmar I use it on tube splines. I also use it in the tube of my injectors so they push easy.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 04/19/20 08:45 UTC »
Like Larmar I use it on tube splines. I also use it in the tube of my injectors so they push easy.
Same here for my injectors.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 04/19/20 10:07 UTC »
I clean my injector barrels by taking the injectors apart a couple times a year and will rub a bit of worm oil on the rings and inside the barrels when I re-assemble them. The injectors stay fairly smooth injecting.

Offline Johnny Bass

• Keeper
  • Bassin' & Chillin'
« Reply #11 on: 04/20/20 08:09 UTC »
I was thinking...I could just use WD-40 as a lubricant for my injectors

As far as worm oil....

What about Mineral oil?

That should work well mixed in with a little worm oil....maybe better than Anise oil
Johnny Bass
Gone Fishin'

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 04/20/20 08:45 UTC »
Mineral oil will gel in time. Plastics need worm oil. Cooking products will harden with the heat or get rancid in storage. I've found that cobbling stuff to save a buck usually ends up costing much more. It cost so little and a guy uses so little that I can't imagine it breaking the bank.

Offline Johnny Bass

• Keeper
  • Bassin' & Chillin'
« Reply #13 on: 04/20/20 09:50 UTC »
Okay sounds good...

As far as lubricating injectors...WD-40 will work just fine?
Johnny Bass
Gone Fishin'

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 04/20/20 10:00 UTC »
I use WD-40 on some stone molds so I can't see it harming the injector. I'd spray it on a soft cloth and run it thru the tube instead of spraying directly into the tube.