Author Topic: Gunk in my plastic  (Read 238 times)

Online hawgthumper

• Kicker
Gunk in my plastic
« on: 07/21/20 12:36 UTC »
And now more mystery. I’ve had some Calhoun’s plastic for years now. It was originally in a 50 gallon drum but I transferred it to 5 gallon jugs. Just opened one of them up after years of sitting. Obviously the bottom was full of sediment. I expected that. But after I got it all stirred up there’s these brown looking Chunks in the bottom.  Any ideas folks?

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Gunk in my plastic
« Reply #1 on: 07/21/20 14:05 UTC »
Contact Calhouns.

Online hawgthumper

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 07/21/20 15:42 UTC »
Contact Calhouns.
Im going to tomorrow Tom. I hope Chuck is still salesman down there. But I really don’t know what they can do about it. This stuff is probably 12 years old.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 07/21/20 15:47 UTC »
How does the plastic cook up? I've never seen anything like that in any plastic I have worked with. I had a 2 1/2 box of Caney Creek medium that got shuffled away in a closet and was maybe ten years old, nothing like that in the bottom of the bag. Weird looking junk.

Online hawgthumper

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 07/21/20 18:39 UTC »
How does the plastic cook up? I've never seen anything like that in any plastic I have worked with. I had a 2 1/2 box of Caney Creek medium that got shuffled away in a closet and was maybe ten years old, nothing like that in the bottom of the bag. Weird looking junk.
It cooked pretty well. The stuff in the bottom felt kind of rubbery. I guess it’s possible that some scrap plastic got in there somehow.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 07/21/20 20:06 UTC »
More likely its a component of the raw plastic that settled and turned into what you see, over time.

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 07/22/20 01:26 UTC »
I have some Calhoun’s that’s at least 4 maybe 5 years old. It doesn’t heat well anymore. Discolors so clear baits become problematic. I don’t have the chunks but plastisol definitely has a shelf life. After what I have is gone, I’ll probably order a couple gallons at a time. I would say a couple years is all you want to keep it around. YMMV.