Author Topic: Alabama Rig Question  (Read 1961 times)

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Alabama Rig Question
« on: 03/17/12 19:08 UTC »
In Minnesota I can only use 2 lures with hooks on the Alabama Rig. Has anyone noticed any pattern to which bait the bass hit?

Is there anyway to rig the thing so that one (or two) baits trail slightly behind?
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
Re: Alabama Rig Question
« Reply #1 on: 03/17/12 21:35 UTC »
Typically the rigs "middle" bait is a "drop back" about 2" to 4" behind the others.  A lot of folks will put a slightly larger, flashier bait on this "hanger".  Something to add a little extra attraction.  This bait is hit more often than the others.
« Last Edit: 03/18/12 11:57 UTC by pjmcla »

Offline Dave

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 03/18/12 10:45 UTC »
Andrew, something to consider, a 2 or 4" steel leader that you would use for a muskie or pike to offset the two.  As for the color, here in Colorado it's Clear / salt and pepper, Junebug, Greenpumpkin, watermelon w/ red flake, good Ole Black, and white with salt and pepper.     

Offline basshunter5

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 03/18/12 14:47 UTC »
I have the same rules here in illinois I just put colorado blades in place of three baits I caught some fish on it 2day as a matter of fact using ccm 3.5" swim shads  :D

Offline ghostbaits

• Lunker
    • Home of Ghost Baits: Hand poured and Hand injected soft plastics
« Reply #4 on: 03/19/12 19:52 UTC »
I am selling 500+ 4.75" swims a week now for the a-rig. Many of the tournament guys are using 4 of the same baits and then a different bait in the center area. Even have sent bubblegum for the center bait.

Seems something a little different for the center, trailing bait will work, even if all the other are just blades (or baits without hooks  :-X )

Jim