Author Topic: Foiling some small cranks...  (Read 219 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Foiling some small cranks...
« on: 02/13/21 08:44 UTC »
I found some different foiling materials and what's shown here works amazingly well with either heat [think jigging spoons, jigs] or with adhesive when doing plastic crankbait bodies. I did up 10 of each in gold and silver yesterday for some airbrushing soon. Its amazing how wild airbrush colors get when applied over a metallic surface and this foil product looks like its been plated on the baits.

I found this foil in a JoAnn Fabrics craft area. Its called Foil Quill and applies with heat or adhesive equally well either way. Very simple to work with. There are 30 4"X6" sheets in a package priced at about $8.00 and each sheet will do about 4 1/2 baits. This foil is used primarily for making custom greeting cards and other paper work. I also found what is called "gilding" foil, used for putting gold and silver leaf on appliques on woodworking projects. Again, very easy to work with and very affordable coming in slightly larger sheets that those pictured and 25 pages of foil to the package. I have some foils that are used in the fingernail industry but stopped using them because the were too fussy and the foil came in 1" strips and was harder to work with that the larger foils and these required adhesive.

Regarding the crankbait body size, the Q in Quill is slightly smaller than a dime and the body alone measures a spot on 1 1/4".

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Re: Foiling some small cranks...
« Reply #1 on: 02/13/21 12:04 UTC »
The feather design on the package sort of resembles a crankbait. Nose pointing downward.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/13/21 12:47 UTC »
It does in an odd way.

I have these all sealed with Seal Coat now so maybe bring the air brush studio inside for a couple days to play with paint. Still below zero at almost 1 in the afternoon. Yesterday's "high" temp was -8. My shop's microwave rotisserie turns about once every three minutes. Think its chilly?

Offline fshng2

• Minnow
« Reply #3 on: 02/19/21 20:18 UTC »
The foiling came out great. Did you use adhesive then heat?
FYI: I have used Elmers stick glue like the kids use. The beauty of elmers is you can reactivate it with water and their are no fumes.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/19/21 21:16 UTC »
I use the adhesive and skip the heat on the plastic bodies. On lead flutter spoons I do the foiling using both methods but prefer the adhesive.