Author Topic: Bedding Cats  (Read 1924 times)

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
Bedding Cats
« on: 05/24/12 11:12 UTC »
The Catfish are wrapping up their spawning here in north Alabama.  We had a request for "One last cooler full" from an old friend.  Went early yesterday and visited two of our old haunts.  Slip corks and night crawlers. 

The last of the ice gave out right as the we topped off the cooler.
« Last Edit: 05/24/12 11:31 UTC by pjmcla »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Bedding Cats
« Reply #1 on: 05/24/12 11:19 UTC »
Dang!!!  :o

Nice haul. 

Our carp are spawning.  I saw a monster Tuesday night and would have loved to fight it.

Jason

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 05/24/12 12:02 UTC »
We keep a small can of whole kernel sweet corn and a few #4 Mustad 39951bln circle hooks along with small casting corks &/or small split shot in the boat.  Three or four kernels of corn on the hook.  The carp are usually spooky in shallow water.  Cast well beyond and in front and sneak the rig a little way in front of him.  Let it rest.  30 pounds of carp taking off like a rocket in 20 inches of water is a blast.    During the spawn; sometimes they will not hit at all.   This should be done using a fairly light lined spinning set up.   If they are "cruising" a rip rap bank you can cork rig them the same way.  Wait until they move off with the bait as they are bad to "mouth " the bait.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: 05/24/12 12:11 UTC »
This dude was crazy!  Diane and I trolled up to it, within 5 feet,  and it actually turned towards the boat and acted like it was going to jump in and get us.  I've never seen a fish do this.  Maybe she was guarding her nest???

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 05/24/12 12:23 UTC »
The night bow fishermen are really out right now.  I am not much on bow fishing any more; except I would shoot gar.  There are tournaments where it takes 1,600 to 2,100 pounds to win.  Four in a boat -  8:00 pm to 6:00 am.  They look like UFO's on the water.  Honda generators running 3,000 watt light sets.  Some of these teams are real serious in the pursuit.