Author Topic: glow colors  (Read 3010 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
glow colors
« on: 10/20/13 21:51 UTC »
Here are some of Do-It's glow colors in use. These are shot in small ice bait molds, something that is really starting to take off here now with the cooler weather upon us. None are Do-It creations but the pigments and plastic are all Do-It.

Here are the baits after being hit with a camera flash and the light off for the picture.

Now here are the colors in regular room light. You'll notice some other non-glow baits at each end of this picture. These are baits that are currently hot on docks along the Mississippi River.

The purple glow in the middle of the pictures is not a Do-It pigment but from another source....I have to have the purple pigment period. I sampled out a couple of the Aqua glows in both of these baits a week ago and the person who got them just raves over the color. It's second from the right in the glow baits. Seeing that color in your hand is something else. The orange and red feed off one another in this picture of the glowing baits. In real life there is a distinct separation between them. Same thing with the yellow on the left and the green on the right.

When I dropped these colors off at our local bait shop I left a two inch piece of sprue in each glow color so people asking about the glow capabilities could just take the packet out and put it in the sun a second and then go look at them in the darkened bathroom. People, according to the shop owner, are absolutely amazed at the intensity of the glow after just 20 seconds in the sun. These baits have very little volume and just look at how that pigment lights up. The dose of pigment per 4 ounce batch? Just barely 1/4 teaspoon. Pretty cool, eh?
« Last Edit: 10/20/13 22:05 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
Re: glow colors
« Reply #1 on: 10/21/13 04:26 UTC »
How much colorant are you using in addition to the glow pigment?

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 10/21/13 06:35 UTC »
Very little colorant is added. The orange, red, and green pigments will stain clear plastic almost to what you see here in normal light. I've added only a small chunk of sprue plastic the color of the glow to each batch. The plastics that forfeited the sprue as a color are all X2 colors.

People are super liking having a color reference in the plastic instead of having to guess what each color was. Before Do-It came along with their new pigments, only the orange and red pigments would stain clear plastic enough to be able to tell the color and adding any kind of colorant would make the colors weak.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 10/21/13 10:08 UTC »
WOW!!! I don't understand much in the way you guys mix plastic colors and pigments and hi-lite powders and all that stuff but the glow on that is just amazing, I worked with glow powder paint and overcoat on lead but it isn't close to the brilliance of the soft plastic, kudos for some awesome looking baits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline DF

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 10/23/13 13:59 UTC »
 Do you guys think bass would go for the glow? Anyone here tried it? I think a glow curl tail on a worm would look killer.

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 10/23/13 14:04 UTC »
Small mouth fishermen around here fish a lot during the night in the summer months.  Several say that they think a little glow helps.  Top water fishermen also say glow at night helps as well.