Author Topic: Candy colors  (Read 8285 times)

Offline jmatheny9

• Lunker
Re: Candy colors
« Reply #15 on: 01/18/14 14:23 UTC »
I have never dipped jigs or even played with the paint but as I was reading this it made me think of my girlfriend painting her nails. She always uses Vaseline around her nails so it won't stick. Would the same thing work say if you put a glob on the eye, dip, then let it dry. After it's dry you could just wash off the Vaseline and there ya go! Hope this helps. And if you try it, let me know how it works!

-Jeremiah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Jeremiah

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #16 on: 01/18/14 15:31 UTC »
I have never dipped jigs or even played with the paint but as I was reading this it made me think of my girlfriend painting her nails. She always uses Vaseline around her nails so it won't stick. Would the same thing work say if you put a glob on the eye, dip, then let it dry. After it's dry you could just wash off the Vaseline and there ya go! Hope this helps. And if you try it, let me know how it works!

-Jeremiah

Vaseline will melt when the jig gets heated to the temps we need for the powder paint to adhere to the jigs.
I usually like my jig in the 300*-350* range so no the vaseline will not work. Maybe if I was dipping in Vinyl paint but, not for powder paint.

Offline jmatheny9

• Lunker
« Reply #17 on: 01/18/14 15:44 UTC »
Well that stinks. Why wouldn't regular paint work on a jig head?

-Jeremiah

Offline Edgecrusher

• Kicker
« Reply #18 on: 01/18/14 17:06 UTC »
I use two pairs of pliers, I hear the head over a heat gun held by the hook, and then when ready to dip grab the jig with the cold pair via the eyelet and dip.
Works a treat.

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #19 on: 01/18/14 18:12 UTC »
What a great idea, Marc.  I used to hold the hook with needlenose pliers and then dip the head.  It was a pain to then having to clean the eye with a hot needle which usually ended with a hot glob of paint sticking on the eye when you pulled the needle out.  Ahh ha...I'll use a needlenose on the eye instead of the hook.  Works great for a few heads, but you can only heat those pliers a few times before they are holding paint themselves and, again, a gooey mess. 

I like to think I'm smart, but if the truth be known, I'm pretty stewpid.  Never crossed my mind to use two sets of pliers.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #20 on: 01/19/14 11:02 UTC »
Well that stinks. Why wouldn't regular paint work on a jig head?

Regular vinyl jig paints will work on a jig.
Many of us just prefer the Powder paint for it's durability and lack of fumes etc.

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #21 on: 01/19/14 11:06 UTC »
I use two pairs of pliers, I hear the head over a heat gun held by the hook, and then when ready to dip grab the jig with the cold pair via the eyelet and dip.
Works a treat.
I'm with Denny on this one. A great idea I can't believe I never thought of.
I have a lot of pairs of forceps and they are pretty cheap to buy so this should work great.
Like I said previously I hate paint in a jig eye and would rather deal with more hassle up front than to have to clean a jig eye later.
Thanks for the idea Edgecrusher!

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #22 on: 01/19/14 13:18 UTC »
I use two pairs of pliers, ...grab the jig with the cold pair via the eyelet and dip.
Works a treat.
I may try heating a batch in my toaster oven and then just gab the eye to dip and re-hang with ease... very novel (and effective I'm sure)!

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #23 on: 01/19/14 18:51 UTC »
I heat all my saltwater jigs in the toaster oven before dipping.
I made some hook tools from TIG welding wire to grab them by the eye and dip. Many of them do not have hooks molded in but an eye on each end of a slab type jig.
I do get a bit of paint on my hook tool but it cleans off easily. Certainly more easily than a pair of forceps does.