Author Topic: Top coat for cranks  (Read 8778 times)

Offline knifemaker3

• Kicker
Top coat for cranks
« on: 12/12/13 17:04 UTC »
Ok, I wanted to start a thread on what everone here is using for topcoating cranks.

I have always used devcon 30 minute epoxy over createx paints.

I've heard of other things being used.  I did buy some of the component systems seal coat to try but haven't as yet....or if I did I don't remember the results?  ???

For toothy critters like walleye I've always heard epoxy is the way to go.

Anyway, what do you use and why?
God Bless!

Craig Blankenship
Craig's Outdoor Sports
www.craigsoutdoorsports. com

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
Re: Top coat for cranks
« Reply #1 on: 12/12/13 17:17 UTC »
Up to now I've used Dick Nite with good results. Im also looking into something new. A lot of guys are using this clear cement finish they get at Manards.

Offline kymer

• Keeper
« Reply #2 on: 12/12/13 18:32 UTC »
I use envirotex light. At least I think that's what it is called.

I have had awesome results and frequently test it while bouncing baits off rocky shores. I haven't had a complaint yet. But I'm looking into moisture cure urethane for the ease of application. Just dip and hang.

My big question would be what are you guys using to dry baits after you clear?

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 12/12/13 19:53 UTC »
Devcon with one drop of denatured alcohol and a spinning rack

Offline basskat

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 12/13/13 12:39 UTC »
Devcon with one drop of denatured alcohol and a spinning rack

^^^^^^^What Mo said. I've tried just about everything out there a Devcon is what I always go back to.

With all clear coats the rotating drying rack is a must.

Offline RLarson

• Yearling
« Reply #5 on: 12/13/13 13:26 UTC »
bob Smith 20 min expoxy and spin

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 12/13/13 15:57 UTC »
bob Smith 20 min expoxy and spin
Rumors are the bob smith is the ticket. I'm trying I out after I use up my rather large stock of devcon

Offline TheDreamer

• Lunker
    • CBBD
« Reply #7 on: 12/14/13 10:01 UTC »
The best is not always practical. Technically the best crank clear coat is House of Kolors 2 part automotive clear but it's extremely expensive and takes multiple coats. It has a UV blocker and is tough as nails, if a car can take a rock at 70mph your crank banging a rock is a joke. I have it and use it on swimbaits, easier to manage with the joints in the body. If your looking for something a bit more practical, bob smith industries makes a variety of clears. BSI clears are top notch, not too thin not too thick. They allow the possibility for multiple coats without weighing the blanks down. Devcon is ok if you're making them for yourself and thin it a bit so your crank runs true. It's all preference No matter what clear you use, build yourself a drying rack. Head to Wal-Mart and pick up a barbecue rotisserie, around $25. Even if you use a MCU (Moisture Cure Urethane) I suggest a rotating drying rack. MCU is usually a dip and drip clear, although while the baits hang they can drip off more than you want and make the clear coat brittle. If you're going to use a MCU, hold the belly hook hanger with pliers(needle nose) and dunk the crank in back first. When pulling it out of the clear, rotate the bait a bit to allow an even "drip" before placing it on your rotator. This will allow a thicker, even coat without multiple dunks and cure times.

Hope this helps,

Drew

#CBBDARMY @CustomBaitsByDrew

Offline kymer

• Keeper
« Reply #8 on: 12/14/13 10:38 UTC »
Thanks for the advice Drew. I also use a rotisserie as a dryer. Although mine is a different setup. I have a piece of plywood covered in Velcro (rough side) then as I clear, I use wood dowels with the soft side of the Velcro wrapped around them. It's as simple as just sticking three Velcro together after the clear if applied.

Offline TheDreamer

• Lunker
    • CBBD
« Reply #9 on: 12/14/13 16:28 UTC »
Kymer, I have used that same setup. Until I did my first 10XD repaint and it wound up on the floor lol. I switched to clips/clamps with the same Dowell idea, it's basically the same but it allows me to do bigger heavier baits when I have to.

Offline basskat

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 12/14/13 19:19 UTC »
The clamps on my rotator were plenty strong enough to support the bait they just wouldn't open wide enough. I wire tie a clothes pin on the lip and stick the end of the clothes pin into the clamp. So far no issues with the 10 XD baits. Plans are to revamp my rotator this winter but it's hard to stay off the lake long enough to get it done.
« Last Edit: 12/15/13 15:17 UTC by basskat »

Offline el rat

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 12/15/13 08:17 UTC »
Devcon for me.  I would like to try Bob Smith; if I ever get to Hobby Town to buy some.  MCU; I looked into it couldn't find any around my area, the shipping was kind of high; so back to Devcon.

Shane

Offline TheDreamer

• Lunker
    • CBBD
« Reply #12 on: 12/15/13 17:28 UTC »
Looks like it came fresh from Bass Pro. This is a 10XD repaint in the customers pattern, she's covered in BSI 20min.

And a Wiggle Wart to match,

Offline gone2long

• Kicker
« Reply #13 on: 12/15/13 17:55 UTC »
My buddy painted his car with a base coat and then clear coated with aviation clear which is a polyester base and the stuff was incredibly hard and clear as water I'm going to grab some from him and try that, it's been 4 years and his car which is a daily driver still looks like the paint is wet.

Offline basskat

• Kicker
« Reply #14 on: 12/15/13 19:03 UTC »
My buddy painted his car with a base coat and then clear coated with aviation clear which is a polyester base and the stuff was incredibly hard and clear as water I'm going to grab some from him and try that, it's been 4 years and his car which is a daily driver still looks like the paint is wet.

Let me know how it comes out. This is one I haven't tried.

This top coat debate has been going on for years. Some of you may have been members of the old tacklemaking.com site some 5 or 6 years ago. There was thread after thread debating the "best". On every bait making site you'll find basically this same thread. It all comes down to personal preference, all have their pros and cons.