Author Topic: Fork Fishing Report - 10/9/2011  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
Fork Fishing Report - 10/9/2011
« on: 10/09/11 20:33 UTC »
I fished quite a bit Friday, most of Saturday, and we had a small front come in and...  RAIN today.  I wasn't planning on fishing, but we haven't had a front in so long there was no way I was staying off the lake, and I'm glad I didn't.  If I bundle last weekend in as well, overall there have been some quality fish, but not a good quantity of quality fish.

Before I tell about today let me say this, pictures are a big deal in the world of fishing, I know this.  I have caught some killer fish this year and not had my camera.  When I lost the big one the other day I was beside myself.  I had my phone today and was ready to take pics of the fish.  I said a quick prayer asking God to bless me with a photo worthy fish.  He did.  God did his part.  I however, didn't do my part.  Did you know on an Android phone the camera stops working at a certain battery level.  I just had to kind of laugh  ???.  On to tonight...

Tonight it was on like Donkey Kong for about 45 min.  It started with one just over 8lb and then the next 4-5 cast produced either a 3 or 4lber.  I wrapped it up with a beautiful golden colored Bass (more golden than most smallies, but where it was black it was really black - beautiful fish - looked like a tiger) that was around 3.5lbs, and a skinny Bass that should have been about 4lbs but was around 2lbs.  Other than the one skinny they all looked healthy and fat.

Sorry no pics.  I know it would be better with pics.

What did I learn.  I have a couple tips if you're interested.  First, after loosing the big girl the other day I am now using a shorter rod in the Kayak.  Way easier to land fish and keep them from jumping.

Baits, I fished quite a few this weekend, but really only had success on black and blue.  The Mud Bug and Cherry Picker were the baits tonight.  Friday it was the 7" Ribbon Tail.  I was catching fish well on the Cherry Picker, but ran out of them.  One thing that was really interesting was on the Cherry Picker - the fish seem to respond better if the tentacles are colored vs. the claws.  I thought that was pretty interesting and I tested it several times.  I will keep testing this, but it won't take many more experiences like this weekend to convince me.  I also need to make a smaller one.  The current one is productive, but for up North, or if you are just trying to catch a limit a think a smaller one would be killer (about the size of the Baby Berry).

The Mud Bug is a beast.  I was just Texas Rigging everything this weekend and it consistently produced (when the fish were biting).  It really has met my expectations of catching numbers, but also producing large fish as well.  It gets bit on the fall and when you're working it in.  Most of my bites tonight were when I was popping it.  This is an extremely productive way to fish this bait (most any craw).  I will make a video so you can see what I'm talking about if you don't already (if you don't see it soon remind me).

Sorry for the ramble.  I just had a great weekend with lots of fishing and wanted to give a report.

I hope you had a great weekend as well.

Tight lines and Tattered Thumbs!

Jason

Offline bribass

• Kicker
Re: Fork Fishing Report - 10/9/2011
« Reply #1 on: 10/09/11 21:51 UTC »
Jason thank you for sharing and congrats on the fish!!! Its always nice to get out and catch some!

Also, thanks for the reviews on the baits! I love ready about all of this especially when your on a Class A lake!!  ;D

Again, awesome job and thanks for sharing!

-- Brian

kipbass

« Reply #2 on: 10/10/11 20:47 UTC »
Jason, The part I am having trouble understanding is you ran out of a certain bait?  ???  You do own a bait making supply business don't you? Oh that might be the other Jason!  LOL  ;D Just giving you a hard time. Hope you got thick skin, I can be brutal at times.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: 10/11/11 08:46 UTC »
Only so many hours in a day...

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 10/11/11 09:31 UTC »
Priorities, man, priorities.  Only Mom ( aka. The Boss ) comes above having enough baits to fish with.   :D   Although the kayak is limited on tackle storage.