Author Topic: Trouble pouring 6" senko do it molds  (Read 3877 times)

Offline The870boss

• Minnow
Trouble pouring 6" senko do it molds
« on: 04/19/18 21:55 UTC »
Having trouble with bubbles in both the expensive and essential do it 6" molds. Using do it essential plastic and MF plastic. Heating plastic up in microwave and then letting it cool. Zero bubbles in plastic when i pour into do it mold injector. Pushes somr out to free any on top. Still bubbles all in bait. Hold pressure. Keep it topped off. So confused. Anyone please help.
« Last Edit: 04/19/18 22:20 UTC by The870boss »

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
Re: Trouble pouring 6" senko do it molds
« Reply #1 on: 04/19/18 23:43 UTC »
Those are dents. The plastic looks bubble free to me. Try shooting your plastic cooler, say 300 degrees or so measured by thermometer. Also keep the sprue topped off as the cavities draw plastic from the sprue as the plastic cools. You can do this by pouring right from the Pyrex cup. Welcome to the forum.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 04/20/18 03:39 UTC »
Welcome to the forum boss, Ap is correct; you got to keep that spru top offed. Some times you have to top it off twice as it cools.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/20/18 06:01 UTC »
Same advice as the 2 professional shooters above, also shoot slower.

Offline The870boss

• Minnow
« Reply #4 on: 04/20/18 06:19 UTC »
Always top off spru with plastic. Atleast twice. Never let it suck air down. Tried plastic cooler and hotter. Bubbles inside bait with dents if u look better at pic. Have 23 molds. And senkos are only mold that gives me this problem.

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 04/20/18 08:02 UTC »
I don’t have this mold but it may be one of those that a sprue extender May be just the ticket. Looking at the mold, there’s a lot of cavity for the size sprue. It appears the gates are large enough to not close off too soon. Also, colder plastic is the way you want to shoot this one. I’ve had luck shooting down to 290 but not much cooler than that.  Be sure and use a thermometer as anything else is a wag. I would hold pressure on it too for 15-20 seconds.

Offline RufNec

• Yearling
« Reply #6 on: 04/20/18 08:11 UTC »
I have found that sprue extenders solve most of the dent problems that I have experienced.

Offline The870boss

• Minnow
« Reply #7 on: 04/20/18 08:15 UTC »
Where do u find sprue extenders?

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 04/20/18 08:17 UTC »
I have the essential mold and have found that shooting at a cooler temperature helps a lot.  I also demold as quickly as I can (be sure to wear your gloves) and drop directly into a cold water both.  This speeds up the cooling process before the dents have a chance to set in.  Seems to work pretty well for me.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 04/20/18 08:23 UTC »
All great advice here, but I'll offer this. Try pulling plastic up into the injector right from the cup, not pouring to fill. Keep the nozzle well down into the plastic while you do this keeping the injector vertical. Then inject. The plastic on the nozzle will act as a gasket and prevents air from sucking in along the mold/nozzle while injecting and with the nozzle down in liquid plastic it can't get any air from bubbles you don't notice while pour-filling the injector. Maybe slow down the injection and keep pressure on the injector for the 10-15 seconds.

I almost forgot....Welcome to the Do-It forums! 
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline The870boss

• Minnow
« Reply #10 on: 04/20/18 09:31 UTC »
Tried sucking the plastic in injector. Still can pour full 6" senkos in the expensive mold nor in the essential series. Losing my mind. Why do i not have this trouble with any other do it molds? Also were do u buy sprue extensions?

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 04/20/18 09:34 UTC »
Where do u find sprue extenders?

IIRC, Basstackle had some. I couldn’t find them on their website but I would call Sarah and ask. If you’re handy, you can make your own out of copper pipe.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #12 on: 04/20/18 10:04 UTC »
Sprue extension are here under injectors and gloves.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Bass in the hood

• Kicker
    • Bass in the Hood
« Reply #13 on: 04/20/18 20:17 UTC »

I have a couple of the 6" CNC Senko mold from Do-It. I experienced the same issues with the denting and the tail of the top cavity not filling  completely (visually it looked complete). I tried shooting at a lower temp and with the sprue extender this did help but I still had some inconsistencies  making the baits. I finally increased the gate (sprue) by making it wider and opening up the gates a little more.
The mold now shoots perfect every time without the sprue extender or having to shoot at a lower temperature. Some have suggested increasing the vents may help as well.
Kirk@BassintheHood.com
« Last Edit: 04/27/18 21:10 UTC by Bass in the hood »

Offline semi22lr

• Keeper
« Reply #14 on: 04/23/18 11:34 UTC »
I have a couple of the 6" CNC Senko mold from Do-It. I experienced the same issues with the denting and the tail of the top cavity not filling  completely (visually it looked complete). I tried shooting at a lower temp and with the sprue extender this did help but I still had some inconsistencies  making the baits. I finally increased the gate (sprue) by making it wider and opening up the gates a little more.
The mold now shoots perfect every time without the sprue extender or having to shoot at a lower temperature. Some have suggested increasing the vents may help as well.
Kirk@BassintheHood.com

I'm having the same issue in the Essential mold. Can you please explain how to open and exactly where to open up in the mold? Thank you.