Author Topic: Most Successful/Consistent Panfish Lure?  (Read 3419 times)

Offline Porkrind

• Keeper
Most Successful/Consistent Panfish Lure?
« on: 10/09/18 12:04 UTC »
Okay guys and gals, I’m looking for some good input from those of you who do lots of panfishing and make your own lures! If you vote please leave a comment as to what your favorite size(s) is as well. I do lots of fishing and lure making but I’ve never made the smaller lures for the panfish. My son is extremely excited to start doing this so I told him I’d make a poll and order him a mold so that we can make some and go catch some dinner. Thanks everyone!

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Most Successful/Consistent Panfish Lure?
« Reply #1 on: 10/09/18 14:50 UTC »
You haven't included the 1.5" Thump-It so I can't vote.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 10/09/18 17:17 UTC »
I voted twice.  Once for a plastic minnow (crappie) and once for a plastic craw.  I really like a 1.5 inch plastic craw that I have that are commercially made (unfortunately I can't remember by whom).  I haven't found a satisfactory mold yet although a small hellgramite imitation might work as well.  I really like putting the little craw on a small jig head and dragging it through bluegill beds. 
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 10/09/18 17:54 UTC »
I agree Sarg, the minnow is a heck of a good crappie and sunfish bait. I have a mold that puts out a 1 3/4" minnow and does real well. I also use a 1 1/2" stinger about as much as the minnow but first up is that Thump-It, hands down.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 10/09/18 17:56 UTC »
My vote goes to the mayday mayfly. I can't begin to tell you how many fish myself and friends have caught on that bait. And it works equally well under the ice. I use the back half on a jig under the ice.

Offline Porkrind

• Keeper
« Reply #5 on: 10/09/18 18:42 UTC »
You haven't included the 1.5" Thump-It so I can't vote.
small Swimbait has now been added

Offline Porkrind

• Keeper
« Reply #6 on: 10/09/18 18:46 UTC »
I voted twice.  Once for a plastic minnow (crappie) and once for a plastic craw.  I really like a 1.5 inch plastic craw that I have that are commercially made (unfortunately I can't remember by whom).  I haven't found a satisfactory mold yet although a small hellgramite imitation might work as well.  I really like putting the little craw on a small jig head and dragging it through bluegill beds.
Sounds like I’ll be trying that this coming spring. Lol I’ve never used any of the small crass for panfish so it’ll be fun

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #7 on: 10/10/18 10:24 UTC »
I voted pre stipulations but there are more than two that i use regularly for panfish. Willey worm, wedge, wax wiggler.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 10/10/18 16:35 UTC »
For me and the watersheds that I fish a curl tail grub is by far the most productive. I would follow that up with the trusty hollow crappie tube. I will say that I once took a royal beating from my buddy who was using a Trout Magnet tiny craw with the supplied jig head. Those are now standard in my arsenal.

Offline Porkrind

• Keeper
« Reply #9 on: 10/10/18 20:50 UTC »
For me and the watersheds that I fish a curl tail grub is by far the most productive. I would follow that up with the trusty hollow crappie tube. I will say that I once took a royal beating from my buddy who was using a Trout Magnet tiny craw with the supplied jig head. Those are now standard in my arsenal.
There are so many options and I’m just trying to narrow it down to a couple molds first so I can add some smaller baits to my mold collection.

Offline Canga~

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 10/10/18 22:55 UTC »
a bait that is often overlooked by panfisherman is the senko, i have caught many large gills, crappies and perch on 3" senkos, but the better bait is a 2" senko, yamamoto used to make them but have been discontinued for a while, so when i started pouring my own baits a 2" stick mold was a must, basstackle makes a good one, as well as a 1.5" (and a 1" which i assume is like a maggot) i have been using these for a few months now and they are awesome, overlooked smallie bait too.

Offline Porkrind

• Keeper
« Reply #11 on: 10/11/18 08:21 UTC »
Has anyone tried the 1.75” Essential Series Paddle Tail Shad? If so what have your experiences been?

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 10/11/18 08:26 UTC »
I have the shad and its good at times when a slightly larger bait profile is wanted by the fish. Warm water is when this bait shines while when the water is getting or is cool I haven't had a whole lot of luck with it. This bait loves the swimming without a float.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Porkrind

• Keeper
« Reply #13 on: 10/11/18 08:45 UTC »
I have the shad and its good at times when a slightly larger bait profile is wanted by the fish. Warm water is when this bait shines while when the water is getting or is cool I haven't had a whole lot of luck with it. This bait loves the swimming without a float.
Thank you for this kind of information. It’s amazing how much I can learn just from reading what the experienced guys on here have to say. It’s a very specific kind of knowledge you guys have and without y’all that knowledge doesn’t get passed down.

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 10/22/18 17:14 UTC »
Thought I would revisit this thread with a new idea.  I just received a new mold from jacobs baits.  It is the 1.38 inch bream bug.  This thing is killer looking and shoots like a dream..  The only problem I can see is trying to keep all of those legs straight.  I am going to experiment with some hardener and see if that helps.  I have shot it 3 times today and I am tickled pink with it.  It is going to be a serious bream killer.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.