Author Topic: Keeping Crankbaits untangled  (Read 8324 times)

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
Keeping Crankbaits untangled
« on: 12/16/15 19:03 UTC »
I saw this on the web some where and gave it a try. The little hair rubber bands seem to work best. Wrap a rubber band around the treble hooks and they barely get tangled at all in your box. Just thought ide pass it along.
« Last Edit: 12/16/15 19:13 UTC by Mike J »

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
Re: Keeping Crankbaits untangled
« Reply #1 on: 12/16/15 21:34 UTC »
I read a little article on the net a while back where you could use those little rubber bands like they use on braces to do the same thing. I think it's a good idea for someone who doesn't have fat fingers like I do. LOL
I finally broke down and bought one of those Special Mate crankbait boxes. It's not a perfect solution but it's a heck of a lot better than playing barrel of monkeys every time I wanted to take a crankbait  out of the Plano boxes.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 12/17/15 06:43 UTC »
  My boat every year starts off with all the baits and things all nice and neat. About three weeks into the season it a messed up again. It is amazing how I do know where everything is. I think your better off just leaving it a mess and not being disappointed so early off in the year.

Offline ruck

• Yearling
« Reply #3 on: 12/17/15 18:19 UTC »
Knowing me I'd forget to take the rubber band off before I fished with it.

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #4 on: 12/17/15 18:49 UTC »
Knowing me I'd forget to take the rubber band off before I fished with it.

Tell me about it.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline TommySkarlis

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 12/20/15 12:24 UTC »
I keep a "hot box" with one of every color of my favorites in the boat - and then multiples get carried in mass in separate boxes. I remove the factory hooks and leave the split rings on - putting hooks on as I need them.  Will have to give the rubber band trick a try in the hot boxes.
Take somebody fishing soon!

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 12/20/15 13:56 UTC »
I like the hot box idea Tommy. I need to do that with plastics too. Thanks for the idea.! And the rubber band trick worked way better that I expected I think you'll like it.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 12/20/15 14:58 UTC »
  I keep a box that is separate and has my favorites in them. Not so much colors but ones that catch fish. I don't know why but you can take two of the same crank baits and one will catch fish and the other one won't no matter how you tune it. You get that one that fish just love I take real good care of it. Don't think I would do the take the hooks off thing. I know in a tournament if I broke one of my good ones off I would never take the time to put hooks on one in the box. Not unless I really had it in my head that it took that bait to win.

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://rumble.com/v10miez-world-premiere-watch-the-water.html
« Reply #8 on: 12/20/15 16:27 UTC »
Every Spoon and Hardbait of mine has Single Hooks, no Trebles in my world.  I use 3"x5" 4-mil Reclosable Poly Bags and bag a few Baits to a Bag, leaving plenty space for the Baits to move so I can access them quickly.  After a bait/lure is used I do NOT immediately put it back in a bag, I leave it out so I can dry them after the day is done.  Bagged this way, a few to a bag, I can "sift" through bags pretty quick, then I only have to contend with a few Baits once I find what I'm looking for, and since all of them have no Trebles, freeing my Target is fast.

I usually dry overnight then bag the next day...many times I rinse before I let dry (Hooks, also...anything that can rust).

Live and Let Dry!
« Last Edit: 12/20/15 16:31 UTC by BareKnuckleJigs »
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

https://rumble.com/v1wac7i-world-premier-died-suddenly.html 👈😎

https://youtube.com/shorts/-I9g2VLfJAk?feature=share 👈😁🇺🇸🇺🇸

Offline Cannibul

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 12/20/15 16:27 UTC »
I keep a "hot box" with one of every color of my favorites in the boat - and then multiples get carried in mass in separate boxes. I remove the factory hooks and leave the split rings on - putting hooks on as I need them.  Will have to give the rubber band trick a try in the hot boxes.

This is what I've been doing with slabs, blade baits and tail spinners for the past few months.  Makes it MUCH easier to find stuff and keep it untangled.  Only takes a couple of seconds to put the hooks on.  I'm even switching everything that I can to single hooks.  Picked up some of the Owner single replacements for trebles and those hooks WORK.  VMC makes a similar hook and I'd REALLY like to see Do-It or someone offer it.  Those Owner hooks are expensive.  VMC 7237 hook is the one.

Offline kevin

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 12/21/15 07:25 UTC »
interested in every ones opinion on these single hook replacements for cranks,jerkbaits, plugs etc.

Offline Cannibul

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 12/21/15 08:04 UTC »
The Owners have worked quite well for me this year.  The eye is designed to go on a split ring.  Here's a link.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_Single_Replacement_Hook_X_Strong/descpage-OSRH.html

I use Mustad Ultra Point Siwash hooks on the slabs and spinners.  I fished the Mustad for several years in the PNW for salmon and it's the best siwash hook on the market in my experience.  I just wish I could find them in bulk too. 

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 12/21/15 08:52 UTC »
Some of my Lake Superior baits carry the Mustad Siwash hooks and they are great hooks. I can't use anything with a treble around a river mouth so I basically have two sets of tackle with me if river fishing is happening.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://rumble.com/v10miez-world-premiere-watch-the-water.html
« Reply #13 on: 12/21/15 09:10 UTC »
Most of mine are Owner Mosquito Hooks, a few are Owner SSW or the Mustad/Gamakatsu "equivalent" to the SSW (when more strength is needed).
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

https://rumble.com/v1wac7i-world-premier-died-suddenly.html 👈😎

https://youtube.com/shorts/-I9g2VLfJAk?feature=share 👈😁🇺🇸🇺🇸

Offline ruck

• Yearling
« Reply #14 on: 12/23/15 13:25 UTC »
interested in every ones opinion on these single hook replacements for cranks,jerkbaits, plugs etc.

Tried it for a while, my hookup to strike ratio when down, especially with topwater plugs, so back to trebles I went.